• 73°

East Spencer tenant recounts escape from burning apartment

By Shavonne Walker
shavonne.walker@salisburypost.com

EAST SEPNCER — Herman Chawlk said adrenaline kicked in and he surprised himself when he had to force a door off its hinges in order to escape a fire at his North Long Street apartment, located behind Jones Barber and Beauty Shop.

When a fire began in a breaker panel at the building, the fire traveled up the wall and reached the upstairs apartment where Chawlk, his girlfriend and her 5-year-old son were inside. The three couldn’t get out so Chawlk told his girlfriend to go out the barber shop door downstairs. When the door was locked, the couple realized the only way out was to break the door.

“I hit up against it with my shoulder about three times and it tore away from the frame,” he said.

Chawlk said he unlocked a glass door and eventually the three found themselves outside on the front porch of the barber shop. Another tenant, a woman, was also able to get out with her dog.

Chawlk said when he went outside the building, owner the Rev. John Jones, was trying to douse the flames with a water hose. There was a delay in calling the fire department, Chawlk said, as Jones insisted they could put the fire out.

Chawlk said he eventually called 911. East Spencer, Salisbury, Miller’s Ferry, Spencer, and Union fire departments responded, as well as Rowan County Rescue Squad.

Acting Fire Chief Josh Smith said the electrical fire was related to a ground wire connection. The apartments had minor fire, smoke and water damage. But were mostly not livable because the power was cut to the building.

Chawlk said the American Red Cross put them in a motel for a few days and some friends provided them a hotel room for the past two days, but he’s unsure where they’ll stay after.

Jones said he was able to put the fire out with the water hose before the fire department arrived and there was no damage to the barber shop or the other business located beside it.

Fire did damage a building connected to the barber shop. He said he didn’t understand why fire crews removed all three electrical meters from the base.

Jones said he can’t move any tenants back into the apartments until Duke Energy checks the connections. The Rowan County fire marshal inspected the building. Jones had to hire a licensed electrician who assessed any damage to the meters while Duke Energy replaced them.

Duke Energy also told Jones the county had to perform an inspection, pay the re-connection fees and upgrade the breakers.

A building inspector found a wire on the outside of building that was not protected that needed to be covered. A final check of the building was completed Friday to bring the building up to code, Jones said.

He said some of the electrical sockets didn’t have covers and the breakers had to be changed. Jones said he was assured that once he passed the inspection his tenants could return and the businesses could re-open.

Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.

Comments

Crime

Salisbury man charged with felony drug crimes

Crime

Second person charged in thefts from house near county line

Crime

Police use tear gas to end robbery stand off, arrest suspect

Local

Ask Us: When will Rowan Public Library’s West Branch open?

Nation/World

Prosecution case nears end in ex-cop’s trial in Floyd death

Nation/World

Officer accused of force in stop of Black Army officer fired

Crime

Blotter: Man charged with hitting man with car, fleeing while intoxicated

Local

‘Meet the need’: Rowan County Health Department looks to add to vaccination options

Local

Seaford is first woman in county hired for town manager position since the ’90s

Local

Colonial Spring Frolic makes a comeback to kick off museum’s year

Local

Concord City Council wants to name bridge for fallen officer, Rowan native

Education

RSS administration will recommend selling Faith Elementary property to charter school

Business

Inspired by advice from father-in-law, Angela Mills launches her own business in memory of him

Local

Rowan County Democrats re-elect leaders, pass resolutions

Local

Baseball: Memories come alive in Ferebee book

Local

During Child Abuse Prevention Month, professionals reflect on detecting abuse in a virtual world

Business

Biz Roundup: Small Business Center announces spring slate of workshop for business owners

Clubs

Kiwanis Pancake Festival starts Friday

Local

Rowan fire marshal seeks to clear up confusion, worry caused by solicitation letter

Education

Fun every day: Fifth anniversary for Yadkin Path Montessori School

Nation/World

Charles: Royal family ‘deeply grateful’ for support for Philip

News

North Carolina sites to resume J&J vaccines after CDC review

News

Cooper OKs bill offering K-12 students summer school option

High School

High school football: Playoff time means get ready for ‘big-boy football’