Four displaced by East Spencer apartment fire

Published 7:35 pm Tuesday, June 14, 2016

By Shavonne Walker

EAST SPENCER — Four people were displaced Tuesday after a fire damaged an apartment and water damaged another located behind Jones Barber & Beauty Shop, 811 N. Long St., across from Citgo.

The fire was called in just after 4 p.m. from the business with someone saying they saw fire coming from one of the apartments.

Acting Fire Chief Josh Smith said the fire began in a breaker panel. The electrical fire was related to a ground wire connection. The fire spread into the wall and into the ceiling and was contained to that one apartment. The second apartment had water and smoke damage.

Smith said none of the tenants can return to their apartments until Duke Energy representatives check and address the wiring in the building.There were some people inside the barber shop, which was evacuated.

One firefighter was treated at the scene by Rowan EMS for heat exhaustion.

East Spencer, Salisbury, Miller’s Ferry, Spencer, and Union fire departments responded, as well as Rowan County Rescue Squad.

No other injuries were reported and no tenants were home at the time of the fire, confirmed East Spencer Police Chief Sharon Hovis.

The Red Cross is assisting a couple and child from one apartment and a woman in another apartment, said disaster program specialist Heather LeMaster.

Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.