Eight goats dead after dog attack
KANNAPOLIS — A vicious dog is loose on Unity Church Road after an attack on a Kannapolis man’s livestock.
On Tuesday, James Roberts, of the 9700 block of Unity Church Road, had eight goats killed by two vicious dogs. Roberts told deputies that he saw several of his goats lying unmoving on the ground Tuesday morning. When he went to check on them, there were two dogs inside the pen. Roberts described them as a “smaller tan tog and a very large tan dog.”
He ran to get his gun. According to reports, Roberts shot the smaller dog while it was still inside the pen, but the larger dog escaped. He told deputies that he’d seen both dogs in the area before, but didn’t know who they belonged to.
Eight of Roberts’ goats were killed in the attack, including one that was pregnant. The animals that were killed had several lacerations from the attack. The goats are valued at $250 each, and Roberts estimated that he suffered a loss of nearly $2,000.
A sheriff’s deputy investigating the case was unable to locate the remaining dog. Sheriff’s deputies told Roberts to call 911 the next time he saw the dog on his property. Animal control is also investigating the case, and has been asked to increase patrol in the area so the dog doesn’t attack any other animals or attempt to attack a child.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office Reports:
- Bible Missionary Baptist Church in Rockwell reported a burglary Tuesday.
- A juvenile reported an assault Tuesday in the 1500 block of Peeler Road.
- A woman in the 200 block of Vale Avenue, Kannapolis, reported a vehicle stolen Tuesday.
- A man reported Tuesday that items were stolen in the 400 block of Neel Road.
- A woman reported Tuesday that items were stolen from a building in the 7000 block of Mooresville Road.
- A sex offense was reported Tuesday.
- A man reported four instances of credit card fraud Wednesday.
- Pearls Pawn and Gun in China Grove reported a burglary Wednesday.
- A man in the 200 block of Brown Road, China Grove, reported a larceny Wednesday.
- A man in the 1800 block of North Main Street, China Grove, reported a vehicle theft Wednesday.
- A woman reported an assault Thursday in the 300 block of Lake Landing Drive.
- Pine Ridge General Store in the 3500 block of Stokes Ferry Road reported a burglary Thursday.
- Mercedes Lynn Joyner, 18, and Andrew Christopher Clark, 19, were charged Tuesday with breaking and entering in the 11300 block of Old Concord Road, Rockwell.
- Scott Stephens, 38, was charged Tuesday with death by vehicle in the 2800 block of Bradshaw Road, Mooresville, according to an Iredell County warrant.
- Carla Cooper Olive, 43, was charged with simple assault Wednesday in the 1100 block of Old U.S. Highway 80, Gold Hill.
- Karleon Trevil Sh’liqu Gregory, 17, was charged in the 700 block of Crescent Road, Rockwell with possession of a schedule VI controlled substance, Thursday.
- Stephen Hanford Sarnowski, 36, was charged Thursday with assault on a child in the 300 block of Lake Landing Drive.
- Versie Marie Morrison, 41, was charged Thursday with assault with a deadly weapon in the 300 block of Lake Landing Drive.
- Keri Brandun Camps, 25, was charged Tuesday with resist, delay and obstructing a public officer.
- Kristy Jane Grapes, 24, Daniel Lynn Rea, 33, James Michael Bailey, 33, were charged Wednesday with felony possession of cocaine in the 1900 block of South Main Street.
- Dewey Smith, 70, was charged Wednesday in the 100 block of Wind Drive with assault on a female.
- Robert Jeffrey Baldwin, 45, was charged Wednesday at the Magistrate’s Office with possession with intent to manufacture a schedule I controlled substance.
- Daniel Lee Hamilton, 35, was charged Wednesday at the Magistrate’s Office with carrying a concealed gun.
- Karen Michelle Leach, 24 was charged Wednesday in the 1100 block of Trexler Road with simple assault.
- Braden Christopher Adams, 23, was charged with assault on a female Wednesday in the 1100 block of Old U.S. Highway 80, Gold Hill.
In Salisbury Police Department reports:
- A man in the 200 block of Bethel Drive reported that his Republican party sign was stolen Wednesday.
- A man in the 1100 block of Old Concord Road reported a larceny Wednesday.
- A woman reported Wednesday that she was assaulted by her boyfriend in the 400 block of West Henderson Street, and said that he also took her car.
- Daniel James Uneberg, 38, and Douglas Christian Uneberg, 43, were charged with carrying a concealed gun after both allegedly flashed guns outside of Nashville Nights early Thursday morning.
CHINA GROVE — The excitement was obvious on Tuesday when it was time for the Town Council to pass a... read more