Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. A federal court issued an important ruling Thursday in a lawsuit involving North Carolina’s congressional districts. What did the three-judge panel decide?
A. Voter IDs will not be required in Tuesday’s primary.
B. It denied objections that district lines were unconstitutional and violated voting rights.
C. It said that candidates must live in the district they’re seeking to represent.
D. It ruled that candidates can change their political party at any time before Election Day
2. Rowan is among 25 North Carolina counties where seatbelt usage will be monitored in June as part of an effort to improve traffic safety. According to a previous survey, what percentage of Rowan drivers buckle up?
A. About 95 percent
B. About 90 percent
C. About 88 percent
D. About 80 percent
3. Salisbury native Ralph Roberts was a close friend and confidant of actress Marilyn Monroe, as well as being acquainted with several other famous Hollywood stars. What allowed Roberts’ to rub shoulders with all of these celebrities?
A. He gave acting lessons
B. He ran a Hollywood catering service
C. He owned an interior decorating firm
D. He was a trained masseur
4. The Ageless Aviation Dreams Foundation was back in Rowan County over Memorial Day to honor veterans and their widows. What does the foundation do?
A. Provides rides in hot-air balloons
B. Provides rides in historic biplanes
C. Offers free skydiving lessons
D. Distributes free models of WWII fighter planes
5. Salvation Army “Doughnut Girls” were on hand at Krispy Kreme outlets on Friday to mark National Doughnut Day, commemorating when “Doughnut Lassies” served doughnuts to soldiers during World War I. What year was National Doughnut Day first observed?
6. Among his many acts of philanthropy, Ralph Ketner established an annual $10,000 award for the employee who came up with the best idea for improving efficiency in state government. How much is it estimated this has saved taxpayers over 25 years?
A. $38 million
B. $20 million
C. $10 million
D. $5 million
7. In addition to selecting candidates for N.C. congressional districts, what else will voters find on the ballot Tuesday?
A. Candidates for state attorney general
B. Candidates for state secretary of labor
C. Candidates for agriculture commissioner
D. Candidates for N.C. Supreme Court Associate Justice
8. “Trans Conversations: An Educational Forum” gave participants the opportunity to gain information about transgender people and related issues. Who sponsored the Salisbury event?
A. The U.S. Justice Department
B. The ACLU
C. The N.C. Legislature
D. Salisbury Pride