Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Lynn Raker is retiring June 1 after 20 years as urban design planner for the city of Salisbury. Which of these city projects is Raker identified with?
B. The Salisbury Sculpture Show
C. Landscaping improvements on East Innes Street at the Interstate 85 interchange
D. All of the above
2. Which of these things did community leader Essie Foxx, who died last Wednesday, not do in the town of East Spencer.
A. Serve three terms as mayor
B. Found the Dunbar School Reunion
C. Raise 13 children
D. Lend her name to the former Nash Street
3. Alvin Kluttz, who died in 1985, was a World War II hero and baseball star. What Major League Baseball team first signed Kluttz to a contract?
A. Boston Braves
B. Brooklyn Dodgers
C. New York Giants
D. St. Louis Cardinals
4. Which of these Republican candidates for the redrawn 13th U.S House District seat in North Carolina is not from Davie County?
A. Dan Barrett
B. Julia Howard
C. Andrew Brock
D. Jim Snyder
5. Carol File has worked at Dan Nicholas Park for 25 years. What is her job there?
A. Concession stand manager
B. Campgrpund supervisor
C. Nature Center director
D. Carousel operator
6. The Make-A-Wish Foundation granted 5-year-old Ethan Shive’s wish to do what?
A. Fly in a helicopter
B. Ride in a submarine
C. Go to Disney World
D. Ride laps around Charlotte Motor Speedway with Dale Earnhardt Jr.
7. Romar Morris, who played football at Salisbury High and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, has signed a contract with what National Football League team?
A. New York Giants
B. San Francisco 49ers
C. New York Jets
D. Seattle Seahawks
8. Albert Stout Jr., a onetime SBI agent and a gifted singer, died this past week at age 74, When people asked Stout how he was doing, he usually answered them how?
A. “Dandy, dude, dandy”
B. “Simply lovely”
C. “Super-duper, trooper”
D. “I’m as happy as a tick on a hound dog.”
9. Stout, working as an undercover narcotics agent for the SBI in 1974, famously lived through what on Sept. 10 of that year?
A. A car explosion
B. Being shot three times
C. His car’s being struck by a train during a high-speed pursuit
D. His house’s being destroyed by a tornado while he and his wife were inside
10. Salisbury Academy will soon break ground on an outdoor learning sanctuary where students can interact with nature. What does the academy plan to call this new place?
A. Beyond the Horizon
B. Into the Wild
C. Outdoor Space of the Future