Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. In its bid to become an All-America City, for which it is a finalist, Salisbury is focusing its application on what?
A. The city’s history and success in preservation
B. The city’s fiber-to-the-home cable capacity as one of the only gigabit cities in the country.
C. Its ongoing programs aimed at boosting children’s academic performance, health and creativity.
D. The city’s tourist industry and its economic impact
2. Though he has since changed his opinion, which Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education member spoke in favor of students carrying Mace and pepper spray and said the following: “Depending on how the courts rule on the bathroom issues, it may be a pretty valuable tool to have on the female students if they go to the bathroom, not knowing who may come in.”
A. Travis Allen
B. Chuck Hughes
C. Josh Wagner
D. Richard Miller
3. What’s the latest Department of Transportation prediction for when a new portion of Klumac Road, including a railroad underpass, will be open to traffic?
C. March 2017
D. Summer 2017
4. A.L. Brown High has a new program in which students, working in conjunction with Rowan-Cabarrus Community College, can achieve their certification in what?
B. Law enforcement
C. Sports management
5. What was unusual about a recent tribute paid to Food Lion cofounder Ralph Ketner by the Salisbury-Rowan Ministerial Association?
A. It was the fourth tribute to Ketner within a week’s time
B. Everybody who came received $20 in free groceries
C. It was held in front of the original Food Town store, which is now a hardware store
D. Ketner was not able to attend
6. To promote their pride of Spencer, residents in this Rowan County town will be able to purchase something for display purposes. What can they purchase?
A. Car decals
B. Flags displaying the town of Spencer seal
C. License plates that say “Spencer”
D. Specially made address signs for their front doors
7. How many inmates have been in the Rowan County Detention Center more than a year, waiting for their day in court?
8.After food, what is the largest expense related to inmates at the Rowan County Detention Center?
A. Medical costs
B. Cleaning costs
C. The cost of mattresses
D. Plumbing expenses
9. Former coaching assistants and players gathered recently at Catawba College’s Goodman Gymnasium to honor a legendary coach, who is now 79. Who was it?
A. Mike Carter
B. Pete Stout
C. Bill “Pop” Eanes
D. Charlie Little
10. Dr. Ada Fisher of Salisbury was just re-elected to a four-year term for what position?
A. Democratic National Committeewoman
B. Republican National Committeewoman
C. N.C. GOP treasurer
D. N.C. Democratic Party parliamentarian