Crime Blotter: Impaired woman lying in street does not go quietly
By Shavonne Walker
SALISBURY — Police responded to phone calls in reference to a woman lying in the middle of street trying to take off her clothes. The woman gave a few different names when officers made inquiries, but officials say initially they didn’t know the woman’s identity.
Officers went to North Clay and East Cemetery streets around 8:30 p.m. Tuesday after a concerned citizen asked that law enforcement check on her. The woman appeared to be intoxicated a report said.
The officer said she was saying random words. She gave them three different names, said Police Capt. Melonie Thompson.
She said the woman told the officer she lived on Cemetery Street so he walked to that area with her and spoke to a man who was at the address. He told the officer he didn’t know her and she did not live there. But he believed she went by the nickname, Mocha.
The woman tried to kick out the back window of the officer’s car and she spit on the officer. She was not cooperative and listed in the jail system as Jane Doe, Thompson said. The woman was charged with misdemeanor injury to personal property and felony malicious conduct by prisoner.
Police have since identified the woman as Sylvia Quantina Dunn, 31, whose address is listed as the streets of Salisbury. She was issued a $4,000 secured bond and remains in the Rowan County Detention Center.
Thompson said it’s not clear what substance Dunn consumed, but she was impaired.
In other Salisbury Police reports:
• A woman reported Monday someone tried to break into her apartment and broke a front window at Zion Hills Apartment complex.
• A man reported Monday he was the victim of an assault in the 200 block of Ridge Avenue.
• Salisbury High reported Tuesday a larceny occurred at Rowan-Cabarrus Community College.
• A breaking and entering occurred Tuesday in the 500 block of Ferndale Drive.
• A woman reported Tuesday a larceny occurred in the 1700 block of Second Street.
• A man reported Wednesday he was the victim of a simple assault in the 800 block of North Church Street.
• Allan Wayne Summers, 40, was charged Tuesday with felony possession of a controlled substance schedule II, misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance schedule VI, misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance schedule III, misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia and misdemeanor child abuse in the 600 block of East Innes Street.
In Rowan sheriff’s reports:
• An Erwin Middle School student hit another student in the face causing minor injury. The incident occurred May 6, but was reported Monday.
• Crowder Construction Inc. reported Monday someone stole a boat motor from 1555 Dukeville Road.
• A woman reported Monday she was the victim of fraud that occurred in the 100 block of South Enochville Avenue.
• Matthew Ray Ball, 21, was charged Monday with felony larceny in the 300 block of Nazareth Home Road, Rockwell.
• Brian Lee Roseman, 40, was charged Monday with felony larceny of a motor vehicle while at the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
• Jacob Owen Leger, 17, was charged Monday with misdemeanor drug-equipment/using paraphernalia in the 7900 block of Texas Place, Kannapolis.
• Lafaunte Demond Smith, 43, was charged Monday with misdemeanor marijuana possession at 75335 Northbound Interstate 85.
• Kurt Andrew Zimmerman, 34, was charged Monday with felony habitual felon while at the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
• Lavonda Denise Jones, 44, was charged with felony credit card fraud while at the Rowan County Courthouse.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
By Rebecca Rider firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY — The Rowan-Salisbury Board of Education will review a recent decision to allow high school... read more