Charlotte team takes top honors at Jiggy with the Piggy cook-off
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, May 10, 2016
By Megan Braun
For the Salisbury Post
KANNAPOLIS — Seventy-four teams from seven states competed in Kannapolis’ annual Jiggy with the Piggy competition, a barbeque cook-off sponsored by Smithfield.
Sauced! BBQ of Charlotte was named grand champion, taking home a $2,000 check and trophy. Owners Scott and Joline Adams said they began cooking barbeque at home and for parties. Friends told them they should start competing, so they entered their first competition in 2009. North Carolina is the sixth state this year that they have competed in.
“This competition has the best events, which is why we come back every year,” Scott said. “This is our hobby. Just like others play golf, we do barbeque.”
First place ribs and winner of third place overall went to Lady of Q owned by Sylvia Curry of Ramona, California. She and her husband Greg have been competing for 10 years. Greg is a native of Kannapolis.
“A friend of mine called me and asked me if I wanted to do it, so here I am,” Sylvia said. “The competition was fantastic, had a great venue, and we really loved it. What else can I say?”
The two-day festival also included vendors, rides, arts and crafts, concerts, and a movie night.
The full list of winners is as follows:
• Grand Champion: Sauced! BBQ of Charlotte (Scott and Joline Adams)
• Reserve Champion: The Smokehouse Mafia of Taylorsville (David Williams and Andrew Rasmussen)
• Third overall- Lady of Q, Ramona, CA – natives of Kannapolis (Sylvia Curry)
• Fourth overall- Smoking Butt Heads, Wellford, S.C.
• Fifth overall- Redneck Scientific, Clayton
• Highest Finish for a Cabarrus/Rowan County Team- Keep Calm and Que On, Kannapolis
• First Place Chicken – Checkered Pig, Martinsville, Va.
• First Place Pork Ribs – Lady of Q, Ramona, Calif.
• First Place Pork – Prime Barbeque, Wendell
• First Place Brisket – Prime Barbeque, Wendell
• First Place People’s Choice Wings – Smoke This, Hickory
• Second Place People’s Choice Wings – Saponi Smokers, Winston-Salem
• Third Place People’s Choice Wings – Hogzilla, Gastonia
• First Place Restaurant People’s Choice Wings – Asian Sunshine Café, Kannapolis
• First Place People’s Choice Pork – Historic BBQ, Lebanon, Ohio
• Second Place People’s Choice Pork – Make Her Squeal, Kannapolis
• Third Place People’s Choice Pork – Still Workin’ On It, Blacksburg, Va.
• First Place Dessert Appearance – Tuff Smoke, Smithfield
• First Place Dessert Taste – Palmetto Pitmasters, Moore, S.C.