Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Why did a photograph of 92-year-old Lucy Josey Anderson, a native of Faith, appear on the front page of the San Diego Union-Tribune this past Monday?
A. She was the oldest person ever to fly a plane solo across the Pacific Ocean
B. She was the oldest person to ever win a contested primary for a city council seat in San Diego
C. She won the state of California’s richest lottery ever
D. She had just returned from an Honor Flight to Washington, D.C., with other World War II veterans
2. Something leaked into a creek at Salisbury’s Hurley Park this past week, leading to the need for a cleanup. What was the substance?
C. Cow manure
D. Liquid weed killer
3. By a 4-1 vote, the Republican-controlled Rowan County Board of Commissioners has decided not to lease space at the West End Plaza to whom?
A. The Rowan County Republican Party
B. The Rowan County Democratic Party
C. A regional Donald Trump for President committee
D. A Rowan County committee for Gov. Pat McCrory
4. Author John Hart, who was raised in Salisbury and now lives in Charlottesville, Va., recently was guest at a Salisbury fundraiser for what organization?
A. Rowan Public Library
B. LandTrust for Central North Carolina
C. Historic Salisbury Foundation
D. Rowan Museum
5. What percentage of the first graduating class of Rowan County Crosby Scholars will be first-generation college students?
A. 10 percent
B. 27 percent
C. 35 percent
D. 47 percent
6. What Piedmont Players production is now playing at the Meroney Theater?
A. “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”
B. “A Foreign Affair”
D. “A Time to Kill”
7. What was the name of the Friday-Saturday festival in Kannapolis that featured more than 80 barbecue competition teams?
A. Jiggy with the Piggy
B. Whole Hog
C. Meat of the Matter
D. Don’t Spit on the Pit
8. Rowan County Commissioner Mike Caskey, who is a Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officer, recently did something heroic in the line of duty. What was it?
A. Helped to deliver a baby on Interstate 77
B. Talked someone off the top of a bridge over Interstate 85
C. Rescued three dogs from a burning vehicle which had overturned on Tryon Street
D. Stopped an armed robbery in progress at a Charlotte drugstore
9. What National Football League team drafted former North Rowan High and South Carolina State star Jason Hargrave?
A. Dallas Cowboys
B. Baltimore Ravens
C. Pittsburgh Steelers
D. Green Bay Packers
10. The Salisbury Parks and Recreation Department has organized a new adult coed league for what sport?
A. Disc golf
C. Flag football
By Mark Wineka firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY — The Salisbury Rowan Ministerial Association will honor Ralph W. Ketner — “The Lion King... read more