Community Calendar May 2016
May 2, 7 p.m.
Reformers Gospel Quartet, A.L.Brown H.S. Social Room, BBQ sandwiches prior to show. Kannapolis History Associates.
May 5, noon
National Day of Prayer in East Spencer celebrated on the steps of Town Hall. 704-636-7111.
May 5, 1 p.m.
Salisbury AARP Chapter 4314 Rufty-Holmes Senior Center. 1120 S. Martin Luther King Ave. Guest, Dr. Loren Oden. Refreshments. 704-216-7714.
May 5, 2-7 p.m.
Trade Show & Business After Hours firstname.lastname@example.org 704-633-4221
May 5, 7-8, 11-14
Piedmont Players Theatre: A Time To Kill. Meroney Theater, 213 S. Main St. 704-633-5471, Dates, times at piedmontplayers.com
May 6-7, 8 a.m.
Jiggy with the Piggy Festival. Downtown Kannapolis and NC Research Campus. 80+ BBQ teams, sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society. www.jiggywiththepiggy.com
May 6, 7, 9 at 9 a.m.
Rowan Public Library Annual Book Sale. RPL 201 W. Fisher St. Items priced $2 or less.
May 6, noon
Cannon/Fieldcrest/Pillowtex annual reunion for former employees of the Distribution Center. Golden Corral in Concord.
May 6, 5 p.m.
First Friday Downtown: Grand Unveiling of second annual Come Tickle Our Ivories Piano Project.
May 6-7, 7 p.m.
East Rowan High School’s Spring musical ‘Uncle Joe’s Place.’ Tickets at ERHS, 704 279-5232.
May 6, 8 p.m.
TWAM 5K, Teens With a Mission, First Presbyterian Church. salisburyrowanrunners.org
Community Traveler’ day trip to Cherokee. Call 704-431-3974 or 704-633-9073.
May 7, 10 a.m.
Historic Gold Hill Gold Rush Days. Artists, crafts, quilts, gold panning, live music, Airing of the Quilts. 840 St. Stephen’s Church Road. Goldhillnc.com
May 7, 10 a.m.
Simple Living Festival at Dan Nicholas Park: Music, crafts, nature programming, games. 6800 Bringle Ferry Road, 704-216-7800, www.dannicholas.net
May 7, 11 a.m.
Cinco De Mayo at Faithful Friends Animal Sanctuary Open House. 220 Grace Church Road, Salisbury faithfulfriendsnc.org
May 7, 11 a.m.
Fur Fun 5k Run/Walk for the PAWs: $20, Salisbury Civic Center. 704- 216-2708, salisburync.gov
May 7, 11 a.m.
Free Comic Book Day at Comic Book Shoppe, 111A W. Fisher St. and at Comic Monstore, 813 Jake Alexander Blvd
May 7, Noon
Relay For Life Walk the track to support American Cancer Society 704-640-3463, email@example.com
May 7, 7 p.m.
Band dance at the Y : Delmonico’s Band, bring a snack to share. $7. J.F. Hurley YMCA, 828 W. Jake Alexander Blvd., 704-636-0111.
May 7, 7 p.m.
Darrell Harwood on the Hardwood concert to benefit Carson athletics. Tickets at 704-855-PAWS or firstname.lastname@example.org
May 7, 7 p.m.
Lee Street theatre presents ‘A Night at the Cirque,’ live theatre and dinner black tie gala benefit. www.leestreet.org or 704-310-5507.
May 7, 7:30 p.m.
Musical Pops, High School Musicals. Salisbury Symphony at Keppel Auditorium. salisburysymphony.org/
May 7, 7:30 p.m.
Mipso Live at Lee Street, 329 N. Lee Street. Tickets www.leestreet.org or 704-310-5507.
May 9, 10:30 a.m.
Phoenix Readers presentation at First Baptist Church, Salisbury.
May 10, 4 p.m.
Town Hall Day/Let’s Celebrate East Spencer, Northside Community Building, 105 S. Long St., 704-636-7111.
May 10, 7 p.m.
Rowan History Club, Wooden Teeth: Myths, Legends and Stories of George Washington” by Terry Holt. Rowan Museum, 202 N. Main St., 704-633-5946, www.rowanmuseum.org
May 11, 9 and 10 a.m.
Phoenix Readers presentation at Salisbury Academy.
May 13, 5:30 p.m.
Rowan Blues and Jazz Festival youth Guitar Workshop, preregister at 704-636-3277 or www.rowanbluesandjazz.org
May 13, 5 p.m.-9 p.m.
Salisbury Academy Kidsbloom Block Party 2016
May 13, dusk
Lights of Love Luminaria around the Salisbury City Lake to benefit Humane Society. Email email@example.com to purchase luminaria.
May 13 and 15
7 p.m. May 13 and 3 pm. May 15: Piedmont Choral Society Annual spring concert series with orchestra. Free. Info at 704-699-6053.
May 13, 8 p.m.
Bobby Martin Tribute/Fundraiser for Bluegrass drummer Bobby Martin at Union Grove Fiddlers Convention. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org
31st annual South Yadkin River canoe and kayak race sponsored by Boy Scout Troop 448. Register at www.troop448.com
May 14, 8 a.m.
Rowan Republican Breakfast, Ryan’s Family Steak House. Followed by Congressional District 13 Candidates’ forum at 8:30 a.m. Info: pierceconstruction @msn.com
May 14, 8 a.m.
Fundraiser Run for NC Music Hall of Fame & Museum, 203 West Ave., start and finish downtown Kannapolis. 704-934-2320 or NorthCarolina MusicHallofFame.org
May 14, 8 a.m.
Rowan Helping Ministries 6th annual Golf Tournament, Corbin Hills Golf Course, 704-633-3454.
May 14, 9 a.m.
Support West Rowan Middle School Bands. Vendor expo and flea market, 5925 Statesville Blvd. Info 336-880-3554.
May 14, 9:30 a.m.
Amateur Radio Exams W4VEC VEC, Bostian Heights Fire Dept., 8211 Old Concord Road. No pre-registration required.
May 14, 10 a.m.
Uwharrie Naturalist Weekend, Low Water Bridge Preserve, Troy, http://landtrustcnc.org/
May 14, 11 a.m.
Midnight’s Promise Equine Rescue grand opening open house, 685 Delta St. Salisbury. Two bands, games, prizes, tours, food. 704-223-4799, midnightspromise.org
May 14, 12:30 p.m.
Trail Walk at Dan Nicholas Park, 6800 Bringle Ferry Road. Pre-register at 704-216-7833. Dannicholas.net
May 14, 1 p.m.
Patriotic Program and Military Awards Bestowal Service. Chapter No. 78 United Daughters of the Confederacy; Stanback Auditorium, Rowan Public Library. email@example.com
May 14, 2 p.m.
17th Annual Blues & Jazz Festival sponsored by The Rowan Blues and Jazz Society. Held at the corner of N. Lee and Kerr Streets. 704-636-3277 or http://rowanbluesandjazz.org/
May 14, 6 p.m.
10th annual Middle School Prom. $10. Salisbury Civic Center. Tickets purchase in advance. 704- 216-2708 salisburync.gov
Third annual Triad Dog Games, Winston-Salem Fairgrounds. Compete or spectate. See TriadDogGames.com
May 15, 3 p.m.
Riot in the Vineyard; farm-to-fork picnic. Morgan Ridge Vineyard & Brewhouse, 486 John Morgan Road, Gold Hill. http://riot.ticketbud.com/vineyard
May 15, 4 p.m.
St. John’s Men’s Chorus Spring Benefit Concert, St. John’s Lutheran Church, 200 W. Innes St.
May 16 and all summer
Rowan Public Libraries Summer Reading Programs at Salisbury, Rockwell and China Grove. Details in Salisbury Post Summer Fun Section may 7 or at rowanpubliclibrary.org
Senior Citizen Fishing Tournament. Free. Age 60+ Dan Nicholas Park, 6800 Bringle Ferry Road.704-216-7800, Dannicholas.net
May 17, 9:30 a.m.
Town of East Spencer sponsors Be A Goddess, have a yearly mammogram with the Novant Health Mobile Unit at Town Hall. 704 636 7111.
May 18, 1:30 p.m.
Phoenix Readers presentation at Isenberg Elementary School.
May 18, 19, 25
Free events at the Y • May 18: 3-4 p.m. Diabetes Academy “How to Eat” • May 19: 1:30 p.m. Balance clinic by Fowler Physical Therapy • May 25: Noon Lunch & Learn covered dish. “What is the America Red Cross.” Sign up at 704-636-0111. J.F. Hurley YMCA, Jake Alexander Blvd.
May 19-21, 26-28, 7:30 p.m.
Shipwrecked, an unlikely adventure. Lee Street Theatre, 329 N. Lee St. See www.leestreet.org or 704-310-5507.
May 19, 7:30 a.m.
Power in Partnership: Trinity Oaks. Leadership Rowan Graduation. firstname.lastname@example.org 704-633-4221
May 19, 5 p.m.
Annual Haulers on Union parade and fan fest. www.600festival.com or 704-455-8888.
4th Annual Uwharrie Trail Thru Hike, Uwharrie National Forest. http://landtrustcnc.org/
May 20, 7 p.m.
Dance at the Harold B. Jarrett Post 342: Music by Night Train. $10 includes snacks and drinks. 1024 Lincolnton Road. 704-637-1722.
May 20 and 21
Piedmont Players Theatre ‘Night on the Stage Fundraiser’ starring Tony Nominee Bryce Pinkham. 704-633-5471. Meroney Theater, 213 S. Main St. PiedmontPlayers.com
May 21 all day
George Washington visit and celebration: downtown Salisbury
May 21, 9 a.m.
PPT’s ‘Wizard of Oz’ Youth Audition Workshop, $40. Sign up at 704-633-5471. Norvell Theater, 135 E. Fisher St. PiedmontPlayers.com
May 21, 9 a.m.
Rowan County 4-H fundraiser sale, Rowan County Ag Center, 2727 Old Concord Road, Salisbury, indoors. Free.
May 21, 10 a.m.
Millers Ferry Fire Dept. Auxiliary fundraiser. Frankie’s Famous Chicken. 2650 Long Ferry Road, email@example.com
May 21, 11 a.m.
Altrusa Club Reading Festival, St. John’s Lutheran Church child center, 300 W. Innes St. Face paining, hair braiding, story writing, story telling. Free and free book to all children.
May 21, 11 a.m.
Library Park, 300 4th St, Spencer, Let’s Get Connected Day. Multicultural Celebration and Dedication of 10th peace Pole. Covenant Community Connection, 704-636-6119.
May 21, noon
Kaleidoscope Cultural Arts Festival, downtown Kannapolis streets. 828-231-5037 or firstname.lastname@example.org
May 21, 1 p.m.
Rowan Rose Society’s 57th annual Rose Show. New location: former J.C. Penney building, 1935 Jake Alexander Blvd. W. Area rose growers may enter roses 5:30-10 a.m. Information: Clyde Harriss, 704-633-7024.
May 21, 1 p.m.
Black Bear Program at Dan Nicholas Park, 6800 Bringle Ferry Road. Dannicholas.net
May 21, 2 p.m.
Jr. Doll Collectors meeting: Story time, program, refreshments, door prizes. RSVP to email@example.com or 704-458-9819. Spencer Doll & Toy Museum, 108 Fourth St.
Horizons Unlimited 3 p.m. Nature Hike at Tom E. Smith Exploratorium, free • 5 p.m. planetarium show: The journey to Mars and beyond, $3. www.rss.k12.nc.us/horizons-unlimited-margaret-c-woodson-planetarium
May 26, 6 p.m.
Preservation Awards, Salisbury Station: 215 Depot St. Ticketed event. Historic Salisbury Foundation, 704-636-0103 historicsalisbury.org
May 27, 8 p.m.
City of Salisbury hosts Movies in the Park, ”Inside Out” starts at 9 p.m. Bring blanket or lawn chair. Concessions available for purchase. salisburync.gov/Play
May 27-June 4
JCPrice Post 107 annual Memorial Week celebration with rides, raffles, games, booths, food vendors. 1433 Old Wilkesboro Road.
May 28, 8:30 a.m.
Bare Bones 5K, Knox Middle School salisburyrowanrunners.org
May 28, 1 p.m.
Zombie Day for Pieter’s Pals, 5K run, zombie-themed games, Zombie walk, zombie dance. To raise money for Pieter’s Pals cancer support. Info: 704-213-8752
May 28, 8 p.m.
City of Salisbury hosts Music at the Mural with Live House, on W. Fisher St. Bring a lawn chair. Info www.salisburync.gov/play or 704-216-PLAY
Gold Hill Bike Ride in Historic Gold Hill, goldhillnc.com
May 29, 1 p.m.
Rowan County Salutes our Veterans. Call 704-640-2326 for more information.
May 31, 4:30 and 5:30 p.m.
PPT Youth auditions for ‘Wizard of Oz’ by appointment only. Sign up at 704-633-5471. Show dates July 14-23. PiedmontPlayers.com
May 31, 7 p.m.
PPT auditions for the musical ‘Hands on a Hardbody,’ Meroney Theater, 213 S. Main St. Show dates July 28-Aug 6. PiedmontPlayers.com
Kannapolis summer entertainment
• May 5: Thursdays on Main, lunch: Hipshack: Veterans Park: 11:30 a.m.
• May 6: Movies on Campus: Cars 2 (PG): 8 p.m.
• May 6: Concert: Darrell Harwood with Emily Minor: 7 p.m.
• May 6: Fireworks: 9:45 p.m.
• May 7: Concert: Fantastic Shakers: Noon. Coconut Groove Band: 3 p.m.
• May 12: Thursdays on Main, lunch: Connor Christian: Veterans Park: 11:30 a.m.
• May 12: Thursdays on Main – Evening: Gary Lowder & Smoking Hot: Veterans Park: 6 p.m.
• May 14: Kannapolis Cruise-In: Downtown: 1 p.m.
• May 14: Run Kannapolis: Rhythm & Run 5k: Downtown
• May 19: Thursdays on Main, lunch: Naked Blue & Jason Harrod: Veterans Park: 11:30 a.m.
• May 21: Kaleidoscope Cultural Arts Festival: Downtown: Noon
• May 21: Stories Under the Stars: John Fowler; Storyteller/Old Time Musician: Kannapolis Library: 7 p.m.
• May 26: Thursdays on Main, lunch: Bread & Butter: Veterans Park: 11:30 a.m.
• May 27: Movies in the Park: Minions (PG): Village Park: 8:45 p.m.
Coming June 4
12th annual Pops At The Post concert, Church Street.
• Salisbury — 8 a.m.-noon Saturdays, corner of Fisher and Jackson.
• China Grove Farmers — 4-6 p.m. Fridays. New this year: Third Fridays at the Mill, starting May 20, music and food 6-8 p.m. on third Fridays.
• Kannapolis — 4-7 p.m. Thursdays, corner of Vance and Dale Earnhardt.
• Lexington — 8 a.m.-1 p.m., inside the Old Railway Depot. 336-731-7317.
Community meetings begin in May
• City of Salisbury hosts Coffee with a Cop — 9-10 a.m. First and third Tuesdays at Koco Java • Second and fourth Tuesdays at Mean Mug. Ask questions, voice concerns, get to know your neighborhood officers. Free. See salisburync.gov/
• City of Salisbury hosts Meetings with the Manager — 10:30-11:30 a.m. Wednesdays after the first City Council meeting, City Hall, first floor. Drop by to speak with the City Manager in an open forum. Free. See salisburync.gov/
• City of Salisbury hosts Barbershops and Cops —First Thursdays at Majestic Creations, 2 p.m. • First Fridays at Man Made, 1 p.m. • Second Thursdays at B&B Expressions, 11 a.m. • Fourth Thursdays at Addison’s, 1 p.m. • Get to know your neighborhood’s police officers at your local barbershop. Free. See salisburync.gov/
Every Saturday and Sunday
2 p.m. Bear feeding and Meet the Animal (weather permitting) Dan Nicholas Park, 6800 Bringle Ferry Road. Dannicholas.net
Most Friday and Saturday evenings
Salisbury Ghost Walk meets on the steps of the Old Salisbury Post Office, corner of Church St. and Innes St. Ticket info at Saliburyghostwalk.com
This week’s regular meetings
CANCELLED: The Housing Advocacy Commission (HAC) has cancelled all May meetings: Regular meeting, the Community Involvement Committee and Code Services Committee.
• Veterans Voices, 10 a.m. Free coffee, refreshments for Veterans. Tilley Harley-Davidson of Salisbury, 653 Bendix Drive.
• Tourism Master Plan cttee., noon, Gateway Bldg., 204 E. Innes St.
• Rowan County Board of Commissioners, 3 p.m., Rowan County Administrative Bldg., 130 W. Innes St.
• Cabarrus County Board of Commissioners, 3:30 p.m., Cabarrus County Gov. Center, 65 Church St., SE, Concord.
• Covenant Community Connection, 5 p.m. Rowan Public Library, Hurley Room, www.srhrc.org
• East Spencer Board of Aldermen, 6:30 p.m., Town Hall, 105 S. Long St., East Spencer.
• Landis Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 312 S. Main St., Landis.
• Granite Quarry Board of Aldermen, 7 p.m., Municipal Bldg., 143 N. Salisbury Ave., Granite Quarry.
• Harold B. Jarrett American Legion, dinner 7 p.m., meeting follows meal.
• VFW 9134, 7 p.m., VFW post 9134 Rockwell. Info David Hand, firstname.lastname@example.org
• Free coffee and doughnuts for veterans, 9-11 a.m., Frontier Coffee Shoppe in Thelma’s Restaurant, West End Plaza.
• TOPS NC 437, 10 a.m., Lane St. Baptist, Kannapolis. Weigh-in 9:30 a.m., 704-938-3634.
• Rowan Parkinson’s support group, 1 p.m., First Presbyterian education bldg., Fisher St. entrance. 704-633-3181.
• Salisbury City Council, 5 p.m., City Hall, 217 S. Main St.
• Rowan County Veteran Council, 7 p.m., 704-603-7301.
• China Grove Town Board, 7 p.m., Town Hall, 333 N. Main St., China Grove.
• Rockwell Rural Fire Department board of directors, 6 p.m. Fire station at 11800 Old Beatty Ford Road, Rockwell.
• Salisbury Rowan Convention & Visitors Bureau master plan cttee., noon, Gateway Bldg., 204 E. Innes St.
• Salisbury Community Appearance Commission, 4 p.m., Council Chambers, 217 S. Main St.
• PGTToastmasters, 5:45-6:45 p.m., J.F. Hurley YMCA, 828 Jake Alexander Blvd. W., 828-310-8491
• Salisbury Rowan Convention & Visitors Bureau destination marketing cttee., 10 a.m., Gateway Bldg., 204 E. Innes St.
• Andrew Jackson Masonic Lodge Stated Communications, 6 p.m. dinner, 7 p.m. meeting.
• Kennedy Hall American Legion Post 106 Cleveland, 6 p.m. dinner, 7 p.m. meeting.
• NAACP general meeting, 7 p.m. Location TBA.
• Eureka Lodge 45, 7 p.m., 1433 Old Wilkesboro Road. 704-636-3267 or 7040-798-2032.
• Goldmine Toastmasters, 8:30-10 a.m., 8:30-10 a.m., Connect Christian Church, 3101 Davidson Highway, Concord. , 704-305-1040.
Missed this calendar? To submit an event for the next Monthly Calendar in print (May 30), email email@example.com Subject line: community calendar. Deadline: 7 days prior.
Up-to-date Arts & Entertainment listings in every Thursday’s Time Out or at www.salpost.com/timeout
By Amanda Raymond firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY — The thunder and lightning did not stop the seventh annual Buck Hurley Triathlon on Sunday.... read more