• 90°

UPDATE Rowan weather: Severe thunderstorm warning

UPDATE 4:38. A severe thunderstorm warning has been issued for the northwest portion of Rowan County.

A severe thunderstorm is moving through Iredell County towards Rowan.

UPDATE: 4:30 p.m. The National Weather Service has issued a severe thunderstorm watch for the central region of North Carolina including Rowan County until 11 p.m. tonight.

A line of potentially severe thunderstorms capable of producing heavy rain, hail and straight line winds will be moving across the area from the northwest this afternoon and evening.

Additional watches and/or warnings may be issued as conditions warrant.

Today and Sunday have the highest chance of showers and thunderstorms, but we could also have rain Saturday night and Monday.

Today’s chance of rain is 60 percent, with the showers and storms arriving after 4 p.m. for the most part. It will be mostly cloudy, but still warm, with a high of 83. Southwest winds will blow at 5-13 mph, with gusts up to 22 mph.

Some of the thunderstorms could become severe, with hail ranging from quarter to golf-ball size, damaging winds, frequent lightning and heavy downpours. The heaviest storms will be in the mountains, but will move into our area this evening.

Tonight’s chance of rain is 40 percent, mainly before 11 p.m. The low will be 59 and the wind will calm.

Friday will be sunny and 84 with west wind at 3-7 mph. The low will be 58 with light winds, changing to the north northeast after midnight.

Saturday has a 30 percent chance of showers, mainly after 5 p.m. It will be a nice day overall, 75 and partly sunny with east southeast wind at 7 mph. The chance of rain increases to 70 percent overnight, with thunderstorms possible after 4 a.m. The low will be 60.

The 70 percent chance of rain sticks around for Sunday, with thunderstorms in the afternoon. It will be cloudy and 75. And the same chance of showers and storms continues Sunday night, with a low of 61.

Monday brings a 40 percent chance of showers before 3 p.m. It will be a mostly cloudy day with a high of 77. The low will be 55.

Partly sunny Tuesday, with a high of 75 and a low of 54.

And partly sunny again Wednesday, with a high of 75.

Comments

Nation/World

$1 trillion infrastructure plan clears Senate hurdle

College

College-bound North Carolina football player shot to death

Legion baseball

American Legion baseball: Rowan bounces back behind Schenck, reaches semifinals today

Education

Johnson C. Smith, Pfeiffer universities among latest to pay off student debts

Kannapolis

American Legion baseball: Kannapolis ends season

Business

Evictions looming as Congress refuses to extend ban that expires today

Coronavirus

Panthers linebacker Perryman will wear mask, won’t get vaccinated

Crime

Kannapolis man gets 180 months in prison after $100,000 worth of narcotics found in his apartment

Crime

New court date set for county commissioner’s driving while impaired case

Crime

Man arrested for pair of Salisbury convenience store robberies

Coronavirus

Governor changes course on masks amid worsening trends from delta variant

Coronavirus

Vaccination rules for federal workers toughened

Local

Mayor Alexander joins coalition of NC mayors urging passage of bipartisan infrastructure package

Local

New forklift’s arrival ‘a joyous moment’ for Rowan Helping Ministries

Local

Quotes of the week

East Spencer

Spencer, East Spencer hosting joint National Night Out

Business

Backcountry and Beyond prepares for move to downtown Salisbury

Education

Kannapolis City Schools will ‘strongly recommend,’ not require masks

Business

Ahold Delhaize hopes to add 100 new employees at Salisbury distribution center

Local

Cooler weather on the horizon for Rowan after heat wave

Crime

Blotter: July 29

Local

Downtown residents, business owners say noisy construction is A-OK, sign of progress to come

Business

County unemployment rises in June, positive job growth seen in leisure and hospitality sector

Local

NC poet laureate will speak during historical marker celebration, talks about life, race