Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Rowan County officials have begun holding meetings seeking the public’s input on a parks master plan. During a meeting in Salisbury, which of the following was not offered as a suggestion for new park facilities?
A. A par-3 golf course
B. Enclosed picnic shelters
C. A horse show arena
D. An indoor miniature golf course
2. U.S. Rep. Alma Adams, D-N.C., was one of three members of Congress from North Carolina who issued a letter this week charging that North Carolina’s recently passed House Bill 2 could cost local entities millions of dollars in federal funding. In Rowan County, who stands to lose $15 million, according to the letter’s reasoning?
A. Rowan-Salisbury Schools
B. Rowan County Health Department
C. Municipalities in Rowan County
D. Rowan County Department of Social Services
3. What important building at the N.C. Transportation Museum, once Southern Railway’s Spencer Shops, is going to be further renovated giving visitors greater access to it?
A. The Roundhouse
B. The Back Shop
C. The Paint Shop
D. The Master Mechanic’s Office
4. For filming this past week of a new television series called “Shots Fired,” Salisbury became what fictional town?
A. Benton’s Crossing
B. Thompson’s Pass
D. Gate Station
5. A house at the corner of West Thomas and South Church streets in Salisbury has been called “the house that disappeared.” Why is it called that?
A. It was moved from the corner lot 25 years ago, but no one knows what happened to it
B. Trees, bushes and other vegetation have hidden the house from view
C. The city demolished the 1922 house without giving the Historic Preservation Commission required notice
D. Construction had started on the house in 2004, but it was never completed. The builders came in recently and dismantled it for the materials
6. The West Rowan High School Band is raising money for what?
A. A trip to the Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena, Calif.
B. New bass drums with the Falcon insignia
C. A trip to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York
D. New band uniforms
7. Neighbors have complained to Rowan County officials of excessive noise coming from what past events held on Barringer Road.
B. Tractor pulls
C. Demolition derbies
D. Dirt-track races for kids
8. Among these local runners, who had the best time (3:05:14) in the recently held Boston Marathon?
A. Dr. Victor Rosado
B. Josh Pinyan
C. Debbie Dickson
D. Stuart Perkins
9. Fading D Farm, located north of Salisbury, is offering something new at the Salisbury/Rowan Farmers Market. What is it?
A. Live chickens
B. Ostrich meat
C. Cheeses made from the milk of water buffalo
D. Guinea pig steaks
10. The Morgan Elementary PTA raised $40,000 to pay for what?
A. A new playground
B. The salaries of two teacher assistants
C. A used school bus for field trips
D. Paving of a new school parking lot
By Mark Wineka firstname.lastname@example.org SALISBURY — “Merica,” one of the more popular, custom-built and painted motorcycles in the country, might be... read more