Salisbury Sculpture Show scatters art throughout city
Published 12:00 am Sunday, April 17, 2016
The sculpture show has returned to the city for its eighth year. Organized by the Salisbury Public Art Committee, the Salisbury Sculpture Show beautifies the city and brings in art pieces from different states.
This year, 18 sculptures are scattered around Salisbury’s downtown area and three colleges. The featured artists are from North Carolina, South Carolina, Pennsylvania and Michigan.
The Salisbury Public Art Committee is able to organize the show every year through private donations, grants from the Salisbury Community Foundation, Robertson Foundation and Rowan Arts Council and funds from the city of Salisbury and the Salisbury-Rowan County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
According to Lynn Raker, urban design planner for the city, the committee tries to raise most of its funds by selling the art pieces. Four were sold this year.
The committee calls for entries in the fall and a selection committee picks the pieces that will be featured in the show.
The sculptures and their locations are:
- Circular Motion by Hanna Jubran of Grimesland, NC — Catawba College
- Blue Planet by Hanna Jubran of Grimesland, NC — Corner of Innes and Fulton
- Oak leaf Arch 1 by Jim Gallucci of Greensboro — Livingstone College
- Sunflower Whisper Bench by Jim Gallucci of Greensboro — Rowan Cabarrus Community College
- Gottlieb, The Sun by Ray Katz of Michigan — Livingstone College
- Candle (Red) by Richard Pitts of Pennsylvania — Hogan’s Alley, 100 block of South Main Street
- Holy Smoke by Richard Pitts of Pennsylvania — Magnolia Park
- Portal VIII by Paris Alexander of Raleigh — Rowan Public Library (left of entrance)
- Steadfast by Roger Martin of Albemarle — Easy Street
- Moving along by Robert Winkler of Asheville — Gateway Parking Lot
- Semi-Circle Balance Study #11 by Matt Amante of Winterville, NC — Lee x Kerr streets
- Dancing in the Moonlight by Jordan Parah of Greenville, NC — F&M Trolley Barn
- Duet by Kevin Eichner of South Carolina — Catawba College
- Saltair by Kevin Eichner of South Carolina — Rowan Cabarrus Community College
- Nail Sphere by Stephen Hayes of Durham — First United Methodist Church
- Firefly by Stephen Hayes of Durham — Rowan Public Library
- Autumn Glory by Cathy Perry of Chocowinity, NC — Rowan Public Library
- Loop by Jim Weitzel of Forest City, NC — Water Plant (Church x Kerr streets)