Athletes will speak this week at area schools
Published 12:05 am Sunday, April 3, 2016
As part of the Game Plan for Life program, a number of former professional and college athletes are scheduled to speak in Rowan and Cabarrus counties this week.
The events will mostly include speeches at schools. The Daughters of the American Revolution will also host an open-to-the-public event for veterans in the former JC Penney Building at West End Plaza. The Rowan-Kannapolis Alchohol Beverage Control Board is the primary organizer of this week’s events. In 2003, the ABC Board began initiatives such as hosting Game Plan For Life to combat underage drinking.
Speakers at this year’s schools include Mike Gminski, who played basketball for the Duke University and several NBA teams; Darryl Strawberry, who is best known for his time with the New York Mets; Al Wood, who played basketball for UNC and four different NBA teams; Natrone Means, who played football for UNC and multiple NFL teams; Perry Tuttle, who played football for Clemson and several professional teams; and Brad Lamb, who played football for the Buffalo Bills in three different Super Bowls.
Other speakers include artist Jared emerson, professional speaker Mike Hall, NASCAR engineer Richie Parker and musician Nigel Smith.
It’s estimated the events will reach more than 4,000 local students.
Events scheduled in Rowan and Cabarrus Counties include:
• Means and Hall will be speakers at 1 p.m. Monday at Northwest Cabarrus High School
• Emerson and Strawberry will be speakers at 9 a.m. Tuesday at Carson High School
• Emerson, Gminski and Strawberry will be speakers at 11 a.m. Tuesday in the former JC Penney Building at West End Plaza
• Emerson, Gminski and Strawberry will be speakers at 2:30 p.m. at South Rowan high School.
• Wood and Tuttle will be speakers at 9 a.m. Wednesday at North Rowan High
• Wood and Tuttle will be speakers at 1 p.m. at Salisbury High.
• Wood and Tuttle will be speakers at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at Henderson Independent High.
• Parker and Lamb will be speakers at 9 a.m. Thursday at West Rowan High.
• Parker and Lamb will be speakers at 1 p.m. Thursday at East Rowan High.
• Smith and Fletcher will be speakers at 10 a.m. Friday at Cabarrus County Opportunity School
• Smith and Fletcher will be speakers at 11:30 a.m. Friday at AL Brown High School.
Contact reporter Josh Bergeron at 704-797-4246