Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. The fountain at Robertson Eastern Gateway Park (East Innes and Depot streets in Salisbury) is undergoing some maintenance. What biblical figure is represented by the fountain, which is a replica of one that stood at the Square from 1888 to 1905?
C. Mary Magdalene
2. The Salisbury-based National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Association has changed its name to what?
A. The U.S. Sports Media Brotherhood
B. The National Sports Media Association
C. The Association for Sports Journalists
D. The U.S. Sports Media Guild
3. The Haas Formula One racing team, based in Kannapolis, made a successful debut last Sunday. What was the team’s first-ever race?
A. The Grand Prix of Barcelona
B. The Watkins Glen Road Race
C. The Australian Grand Prix
D. The Paris Grand Prix
4. Over several years, Donald Trump famously tried to evict Suzanne Blackmer from her Central Park South apartment in New York. After a court decision in 1998 that allowed Blackmer to stay in her rent-controlled apartment, what did Trump do?
A. Tried to evict her one more time
B. Sent Blackmer flowers and a card on all her birthdays
C. Tried to raise her rent
D. Gave Blackmer an all-expenses-paid week at one of his Atlantic City casinos
5. The Rowan County Board of Commissioners approved renovations to the courthouse this past week. What will the $61,617 project accomplish?
A. Repairs to the basement floor, where old court records are stored
B. A new coat of paint in all rooms and in all halls
C. The replacement of judicial benches in District and Superior courtrooms
D. The installation of better security screening equipment at two different entrances
6. Catawba College baseball coach Jim Gantt reached a milestone this past week in a victory against Pfeiffer University. What was it?
A. His 700th win at the school
B. His 2,000th game as head coach
C. His first game managing from the first-base coaching box
D. His first game as both baseball coach and athletic director
7. How have Salisbury and North Rowan high schools enticed more students to eat breakfast each morning?
A. School mascots are being used to promote the morning menu
B. Bacon has been added as a menu choice
C. Breakfast kiosks have been set up just inside the main entrance doors
D. Students who eat breakfast qualify for a cash drawing held every day at lunch
8. Liberty and Justice, bald eagles at Dan Nicholas Park, have successfully hatched a chick in their fourth year of trying. What will happen to the new eaglet?
A. It will become part of the park’s permanent bald eagle habitat
B. It will be turned over to the N.C. Wildlife Commission
C. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will make plans and set up the procedure for its release into the wild
D. It has to stay at the park at least a year until it learns how to fly
9. Who is going to be the new executive director of Rowan Museum Inc.?
A. Terry Holt
B. Randy Lassiter
C. Larry Brown
D. Aaron Kepley
10. On May 21, the Rowan Museum will hold a daylong celebration of President George Washington’s visit to Salisbury. In what year did Washington’s Southern tour come to Salisbury/
SALISBURY — Jonathan Blackmer traveled to Chestnut Hill Cemetery Monday and placed fresh flowers at the gravesite of his mother, Suzanne.... read more