Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:00 am Sunday, March 6, 2016
1. What city of Salisbury facility will be renamed for the late educator Fred M. Evans?
A. Salisbury Civic Center
B. Salisbury Customer Service Center
C. Lincoln Pool
D. City Park
2. As part of a commitment to sustainability and animal welfare, Food Lion’s parent company, Delhaize America, has said it will try to reach a 100 percent goal in what by 2025?
A. Cage-free shell eggs
B. Organic vegetables
C. Hormone-free beef
D. Antibiotic-free pork
3. Rowan-Salisbury Schools joined schools across America this past week in celebrating the birthday of what famous children’s author?
A. Beatrix Potter
B. J.K. Rowling
C. Dr. Seuss
D. Judy Blume
4. Hunter Safrit of Rowan County will be Catawba College’s first graduate this spring in what?
5. Kannapolis native Corey Seager has been named the starting shortstop in 2016 for which major league baseball team?
A. Seattle Mariners
B. Arizona Diamondbacks
C. Chicago Cubs
D. Los Angeles Dodgers
6. What city of Salisbury department has a dozen vacancies at present and is losing people to other cities because of low pay and benefits?
A. Fire Department
B. Police Department
C. Sanitation Department
7. According to a report from the N.C. Department of Public Instruction, what type of incidents doubled in Rowan-Salisbury Schools during the 2014-2015 school year?
C. Sexual encounters on campus
D. Confiscation of weapons on campus
8. A fast-food restaurant in Salisbury was destroyed by fire last Monday. It was a restaurant in what chain?
B. Burger King
9. On March 1, new statewide sales taxes took effect in North Carolina and services such as car repairs, appliance and floor installations and jewelry and shoe repair are now subject to sales tax. How much is the combined state and local sales tax rate in Rowan County?
A. 5 percent
B. 6.5 percent
C. 7 percent
D. 8 percent
10. Former Catawba College professor Dr. J. Daniel Brown recently passed away. He also was known for founding what Salisbury organization still in operation today?
B. Center for Faith & the Arts
C. Community Care Clinic
D. Communities in Schools