Crime blotter: Would-be robber flees after clerk pushes panic alarm
By Shavonne Walker
A convenience store clerk is lucky a would-be robber decided against robbing the South Main Street store after pointing a gun at her late Friday night.
The incident occurred just before 11:30 p.m. at D Mart 3, located at 1600 S. Main St. A man walked into the store and asked for a pack of Newport cigarettes. The clerk gave the cigarettes to the man, rang him up and told him what he owed.
Instead of paying the clerk, the man said, “give me all the money,” said Salisbury Police Capt. Shelia Lingle.
The clerk asked the man if he was serious. He simply answered, “Well, yeah,” Lingle said.
He pulled out a handgun and the clerk pushed the panic button. The robber uttered an expletive and ran from the store. He left the area on foot. The only thing that was taken was the cigarettes, police officials said.
He is described as a black male, around 5 feet, 8 inches tall. He was wearing a dark coat with a hood. He had a scarf covering his face. No other specific physical description was provided.
Anyone with information is asked to contact Salisbury Police Department at 704-638-5333 or Crime Stoppers at 1-866-639-5245.
In other police reports:
• A woman reported Friday she was the victim of an assault that occurred in the 1900 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• A woman reported Friday she was the victim of an attempted fraud incident in the 400 block of Bethel Drive.
• Inksane Tattoo reported Saturday a burglary occurred at the business, 1329 S. Main St.
• A man reported Saturday he was the victim of an assault in the 100 block of Newsome and Stokes Ferry roads.
• A woman reported Saturday there was a larceny of a purse at Carillon Assisted Living, 1915 Mooresville Road.
• A woman reported Sunday someone took her wallet from her vehicle in the 100 block of Stoneybrook Road.
• Maurice Dennard Jacobs, 22, was charged Saturday with felony second-degree burglary in the 500 block of Park Avenue.
• Amber Michelle Beaver, 18, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor simple assault while at Novant Health Rowan Medical Center.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported Thursday a larceny occurred in the 1300 block of Hurley School Road.
• A woman reported Thursday a larceny occurred in the 10900 block of Mooresville Road.
• A man reported Thursday someone took his tools from a property in the 1100 block of Churchfield Lane, Rockwell.
• A man reported Thursday his construction equipment was taken from a property in the 1100 block of Churchfield Lane, Rockwell.
• A woman reported Thursday a utility trailer was taken from her property in the 600 block of Hendricks Road.
• A woman reported Thursday a larceny occurred in the 900 block of North Enochville Avenue, China Grove.
• A man reported Thursday someone stole his identity in the 400 block of Moon River Road.
• A man reported Thursday a larceny in the 4700 block of Enochville Road, Kannapolis.
• A man reported Thursday he was the victim of an assault in the 200 block of Stage Coach Trail, Cleveland.
• Hector Manuel Gutierrez, 20, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana at U.S. 29, China Grove.
• Lee Pierre, 30, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor marijuana possession in the 2000 block of U.S. 29, Landis.
• James Jordan Ward, 17, was charged Thursday with felony breaking and entering in the 200 block of Nesbit Drive.
• Marshall Robert Wood, 19, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor marijuana possession in the 7000 block of Old Concord Road.
Contact reporter Shavonne walker at 704-797-4253.
The Salisbury/Rowan community is invited to attend the confirmation of the commissioners of the Truth, Hope, Healing and Equity Project... read more