HSF’s Sacred Places Tour scheduled for March 19
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, February 3, 2016
SALISBURY — Historic Salisbury Foundation’s third annual Sacred Places Tour, sponsored by Windsor Gallery Jewelers, will feature eight historic churches and two cemeteries
The Sacred Places Tour will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 19, a Saturday, and will feature historic churches in the western portion of Rowan County including Woodleaf, Mount Ulla, and Cleveland.
A pre-tour introduction will be given, highlighting the history of Thyatira Presbyterian Church. This talk will will start at 9:15 a.m. at Thyatira, located at 220 White Road.
Following the introduction, visitors will have the opportunity to view the physical spaces as well as learn the stories of those who played a role in the development of each church. All churches and cemeteries on this self-guided tour will be open for visitors between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Docents will be present to answer questions and provide more information at each church. Many churches have even prepared a little something extra for their guests to enjoy along the way.
The 2016 Sacred Places Tour supports Historic Salisbury Foundation’s mission of historic education and preservation throughout Rowan County. By highlighting churches, HSF will acquaint the public with each church’s rich history and the contributions religious institutions have made in the development of the community.
Tours in future years will take different routes throughout the county to highlight the social, economic, and architectural impact various houses of worship have made.
Advanced tickets are $10 per person. Tickets ordered online or by phone will be held under your name at “will call” located at Thyatira Presbyterian Church. Day-of tickets will be available at Thyatira Presbyterian Church in Salisbury and St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church in Woodleaf for $15.
For more information regarding this tour, call the Historic Salisbury Foundation office at 704-636-0103.
Here are this year’s Sacred Places Tour sites:
• Back Creek Presbyterian Church, 2145 Back Creek Church Road, Mount Ulla.
• Christ Episcopal Church, 3430 Old U.S. Highway 70, Cleveland.
• Mount Vernon Presbyterian Church, 435 Carson Road, Woodleaf.
• Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church, Saint Andrews Church Road, Woodleaf.
• Saint George’s Episcopal Church, 9170 Cool Springs Road, Woodleaf.
• Third Creek Presbyterian and Cemetery, 2055 Third Creek Church Road, Cleveland.
• Thyatira Presbyterian Church and Cemetery, 220 White Road, Salisbury.
• Unity Presbyterian Church, 885 Woodleaf-Barber Road, Cleveland.