Rowan weather: Frigid

Published 7:50 am Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Winter weather has moved in with a vengeance, and there’s a chance of snow, rain and freezing rain in the forecast.

The National Weather Service predicts hazardous weather for Friday, with a wintry mix in the morning, and freezing rain during the afternoon. Black ice is possible Saturday morning.

Today, though, will be sunny and very cold, with a high of just 31. The temperature has been dropping since 6 a.m., when it was 14, to now, when it is 11. Add a northwest wind at 5-9 mph and it’s just plain unbearable. Tonight’s low will be slightly less frigid, 18.

Mostly cloudy Wednesday, with a chance of snow after 2 p.m, then mixing with rain after 5. The high will be just 36, with a south southwest wind of 5-8 mph in the afternoon. The chance of precipitation is just 30 percent. The low will be 26, with the wind calming.

Thursday has a 20 percent chance of rain in the late afternoon, with mostly cloudy skies, and a high of 44. The chance of precipitation rises to 80 percent Thursday night, starting with rain, mixing with snow for a while, then changing back to rain. The low will be 32, so there is the potential for ice.

Friday we have a 90 percent chance of rain or freezing rain to start, then just rain later in the morning, with a high of 37.

More fun Friday night, with a 40 percent chance of precipitation, a mix of rain and snow. The low will again be 32.

Saturday’s chance of rain and snow is 30 percent, with snow possible in the morning, then rain in the afternoon. It will be partly sunny, with a high of 40. Saturday night will be partly cloudy with a low of 27.

Mostly sunny Sunday, with a high of 46 and a low of 29.

Then we’re in for a heat wave Monday, with partly sunny skies and a high of 51.

Comments