Attic fire damages Chestnut Hill home

Published 12:05 am Thursday, January 7, 2016

Three adults were temporarily displaced Wednesday following an attic fire in Salisbury’s Chestnut Hill neighborhood.

The fire occurred near the intersection of South Church and West Thomas streets. John Gurtowski, who lives at the house where the fire occurred, said he was trying to solve an electrical problem around the time the fire occurred. Gurtowski said electrical problems caused the fire. Firefighters were unable to immediately confirm the cause of the fire.

Gurtowski, a 70-year-old Vietnam veteran, said he lives in the house with his wife and sister-in-law. He also owns a number of dogs that have been rescued.

Gurtowski said he went to the bank to take care of bills.¬†After returning, he began trying to solve electrical problems in his house and called an electrician, who wasn’t able to arrive before the fire started. He also went to a neighbor’s house to get advice on the electrical problems. Gurtowski said his house’s circuit board “kept popping.”

Salisbury Fire Marshall Terry Smith said no one was injured in the fire, which was under control less than 15 minutes after being reported. Smith said the Salisbury Fire Department was dispatched to the incident at 11:11 a.m.

Smith said the house could likely be repaired. However, the damage caused by Wednesday’s fire likely means Gurtowski won’t be able to immediately move back into his Chestnut Hill home.

Contact reporter Josh Bergeron at 704-797-4246