Crime blotter: Woman charged with assaulting ex-boyfriend, niece
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, January 5, 2016
By Shavonne Walker
Salisbury Police say an East Spencer woman was charged this weekend with squirting bug spray into her ex-boyfriend’s eyes and assaulting her own niece.
Police charged Mechelle Maricunna C. Glenn, 26, of the 200 block of Grant Street, with two counts of misdemeanor simple assault and misdemeanor injury to personal property.
Officials say they were called to the 200 block of East Bank Street for an assault that was in progress at an apartment there. The victim, Jerome Van Collins, 30, said the mother of his child sprayed him in the face with roach killer.
He was at the home of Glenn’s niece, Brittany Nicole Neely, 21, Saturday just after 8 p.m. when the incident occurred. Glenn knocked on the front door and when Collins answered the door, he was sprayed in the eyes, said Police Capt. Shelia Lingle.
Around 9:10 p.m. police received another call saying Glenn returned to the home and caused a disturbance. This time, officials said, Neely let Glenn inside the home and she punched Collins and assaulted Neely.
During the incident, police say, Glenn kicked out a front window, cutting her leg in the process. She left the home after she assaulted her niece, officials said.
Glenn was arrested at the hospital where she received treatment to the cut to her leg. She was not given a bond and placed in the Rowan County Detention Center because of the domestic nature of the incident. She has since been released.
Glenn was convicted in July 2015 of injury to personal property, driving while license revoked, carrying a concealed weapon, and multiple incidents of simple assault.
In other police reports:
• A woman reported Friday she was the victim of an assault in the 800 block of Carowood Drive.
• Yellow Cab reported Friday a man skipped out on a $100 cab fare in the 800 block of East Innes Street.
• A woman reported Friday someone took items from her vehicle in the 100 block of East Fisher Street.
• A woman reported Friday an assault occurred in the 800 block of North Main Street.
• A woman reported Friday a breaking and entering occurred in the 1300 block of East Council Street.
• A man reported Saturday he was the victim of vandalism in the 1200 block of Arden Drive.
• A man reported Sunday someone tried to break into his property in the 400 block of South Ellis Street.
• Dale Austin Davis, 21, was charged Friday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses in the 800 block of East Innes Street.
• Robert Lee Murphy, 33, was charged Friday with felony possession of a controlled substance schedule VI in the 100 block of East Liberty Street.
• Arturo Chamu Elizalde, 45, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor assault on a female on Gold Hill Circle.
• Bobby Edward Wesley, 61, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury while at the Rowan County jail.
• Michael Stevenson Hamilton, 39, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana in the 400 block of East Cemetery and North Shaver streets.
In sheriff’s reports:
• Lime-Chem Chemical Company reported Wednesday a break-in occurred at the business, 8135 Red Road, Rockwell.
• A man reported Wednesday a burglary occurred in the 1000 block of Partee Drive, China Grove.
• A man reported Wednesday he was the victim of a simple assault in the 3300 block of North 801, Woodleaf.
• A woman reported Wednesday she was the victim of a break-in in the 2500 block of Wind Swept Way, Rockwell.
• Cody Benjamin Woolf, 25, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 100 block of East Kerr Street.
• Joseph Robert Shinault, 24, was charged Wednesday with felony possession of stolen goods in the 4500 block of Long Ferry Road.
• Tamarcus Darnell Phillips, 23, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor simple assault while at the Rowan County Detention Center.
• Darry Liston Atwell, 18, was charged Wednesday with misdemeanor marijuana possession in the 2000 block of West N.C. 152.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.