Crime blotter: Stolen beer leads to cocaine charges
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, December 22, 2015
By Shavonne Walker
Police say a man accused of walking out of a local convenience store with a stolen 18-pack of beer also faces cocaine possession. An officer was called on Sunday morning to the Circle K gas station at 1015 E. Innes St. about a man who’d just left on foot with a pack of Bud Light.
An officer caught up to the man, later identified as Walter Lee Daugherty Jr., at McDonald’s on East Innes Street a short time later. Daugherty was carrying an 18-pack of beer when the officer caught up to him, said Police Capt. Shelia Lingle.
Daugherty, 46, matched the description of the man seen on surveillance camera at the convenience store. He was arrested and placed in handcuffs. As the officer began to handcuff the man, the officer could hear something metallic-sounding scratch against the car.
Daugherty had a metal smoking pipe that was scraping against the vehicle. The pipe contained a piece of Brillo pad and one gram of crack cocaine. The crack rock fell out of the pipe and onto the ground, Lingle said.
Daugherty was charged with misdemeanor larceny, felony possession of a controlled substance schedule II, and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia. He remains in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $1,500 secured bond.
In other police reports:
• A woman reported Friday someone tried to break into her home in the 100 block of Elyse Avenue.
• Superior Oil Co. reported Friday an unknown person kicked in the door to the business, 316 Roy Street.
• A woman reported Friday she was the victim of vandalism in the 1200 block of South Fulton Street.
• A man reported Saturday someone stole his vehicle in the 1000 block of Grady Street.
• A man reported Saturday he was robbed in the 200 block of Wilson Road.
• A woman reported Saturday someone tried to break into her property in the 500 block of East Fisher Street.
• A man reported Saturday he was the victim of fraud in the 200 block of Ferndale Drive.
• A woman reported Saturday a larceny occurred at Bounce City, 120 North Church St.
• A woman reported Saturday a burglary had already occurred at her property in the 1300 block of Old Plank Road.
• A woman reported Sunday her mailbox was damaged after someone struck it with a baseball bat in the 1900 block of Old Mocksville Road.
• A man reported Sunday someone possibly set fire to vehicle in the 1200 block of West Fisher Street.
• John Robert Bolle, 42, was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 100 block of Oakwood Avenue.
• Tara Tanisha Allison, 42, was charged Friday with misdemeanor assault inflicting serious injury in the 100 block of Chestnut Street.
• Jennifer Nanette Frasier, 33, was charged Saturday with misdemeanor abandonment of animals while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Micha Payne Talbert, 28, was charged Sunday with misdemeanor child abuse while at Walmart.
In Rowan County sheriff’s reports:
• A male reported Thursday he was the victim of an assault in the 600 block of Timber Trail, Gold Hill.
• A woman reported Thursday she was involved in a domestic dispute in the 1200 block of Godbey Road.
• Timothy Rik Johnson, 56, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor domestic criminal trespass in the 100 block of East Liberty Street.
• Salvatore Cerbone Jr., 45, was charged Thursday with felony assault with serious bodily injury while at the Rowan County courthouse.
• Jaylen Khalil Blocker, 16, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 600 block of Timber Trail, Gold Hill.
• Winifred Ann Shoemaker, 46, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor simple assault while at the Rowan County courthouse.
• Kristen Ciara Payne, 19, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 300 block of Deal Estates Drive, China Grove.
• Belinda Page Talbert, 55, was charged Thursday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 100 block of Broom Street, Rockwell.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.