Last minute shoppers rejoice: Dec. 18 is National Free Shipping Day
Published 9:15 am Tuesday, December 15, 2015
Better Business Bureau
Have you finished your holiday shopping yet? Or, are you like many people who haven’t even started it yet? If you are a last minute shopper, BBB reminds you that Dec. 18 is National Free Shipping Day and more than 700 retailers are planning to participate. Not only will you save on shipping fees, but you will also get great deals and guaranteed delivery by Dec. 24 in the contiguous United States.
“This is a great way for you to save money on shipping fees,” said BBB President Tom Bartholomy. “However, BBB also wants to remind you about shopping safely online.”
If you are shopping online, BBB has this advice:
- Protect your computer. Make sure you have anti-virus software and run it frequently.
- Shop on trustworthy websites. If you find a cut rate price on a popular item, offered by an unfamiliar company, buyer beware!
- Pay on secure sites. You should only enter credit card numbers on secure, encrypted websites. Look in the address box for the “s” in https:// and in the lower-right corner for the “padlock” symbol before paying.
- Pay with a credit card. Credit cards offer you the most buyer protection if your merchandise does not arrive or arrives damaged. Never pay by wire transfer!
- Keep documentation. Make sure you receive email confirmations for your online purchases.
- Check your credit card statements. after shopping online to make sure there are no unauthorized transactions.
- Read the fine print. Make sure you understand the online retailer’s delivery date guarantee, order cancellation and return policies.
- Watch out for deliveries. Make arrangements with your neighbors to pick up any packages delivered when you aren’t home so your gifts are not stolen.
For more information, please visit BBB or call BBB at 704-927-8617 or toll-free in N.C. and S.C. at 1-877-317-7236.