Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:37 am Sunday, November 29, 2015
1. During a soccer game earlier this year, South Rowan High athletic trainer Elizabeth Nottingham had to perform a procedure that is not typically part of her routine. What did she do?
A. Administered CPR to a player who had collapsed.
B. Splinted up a broken leg
C. Extricated a mouthguard that a player had partially swallowed.
D. Stitched up a gashed ear.
2. To reduce food waste, Kannapolis City Schools has embarked on a partnership with another organization to to put leftover food to good use. Who has Kannapolis City Schools teamed up with on this project?
A. Rowan Helping Ministries
B. Cooperative Christian Ministry
C. Second Harvest Food Bank
D. Food Lion
3. The Salisbury Post’s crime blotter reported this week that a local man attempted to scam drug addicts by doing what?
A. Selling bogus prescriptions
B. Making customers pay in advance for drugs that were never delivered
C. Pretending that Tootsie Rolls were black tar heroin
D. Posing as an undercover officer and soliciting bribes
4. On Jan. 27, the Fourth Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals will hear arguments in a case involving what Rowan County issue?
A. Incentive grants for businesses
B. Voter identification
C. Municipal annexations
D. Prayer at county commission meetings
5. Christmas is always an especially busy season for the Salvation Army as it assists residents in need. Which of the following programs does the Salvation Army support?
A. The Red Kettle drive, to solicit donations
B. Angel Trees, which have tags with the names and Christmas requests of local families in need
C. The White Christmas Canned Food drive
D. All of the above
6. Like many exceptional athletes, Salisbury High golf champion Grace Yatawara — who just signed with East Carolina University — got an early start in her chosen sport. How old was she when her father introduced her to the game?
7. While the Southern Rowan Christmas parade typically has a contingent of local dignitaries, you might say this year’s parade feaured some real heavy hitters. Who were these special guests?
A. Gov. Pat McCrory and Lt. Gov. Dan Forest
B. U.S. Sens. Richard Burr and Thom Tillis
C. Elizabeth Dole and her husband, Bob
D. The World Champion Rowan County Little League Softball Team, which served as grand marshal
8. Spencer Mayor Jody Everhart is leaving office after serving six terms. What was unusual about his first successful run for mayor?
A. He was a write-in candidate
B. After the vote ended in a tie, names were twice drawn from a hat in an attempt to select a winner before a new election was held.
C. The N.C. Supreme Court had to step in and declare a winner
D. His campaign handed out toy trains