Blotter: The old air vent trick didn’t work
An air vent was not a good hiding place for guns and illegal substances found in a Salisbury man’s home, according to a Salisbury Police report.
Probations and parole officers searched Claudie Jay Boyd III’s home at 825 Green St. on Thursday. Police Spokesperson Capt. Shelia Lingle said offenders on probation and parole are subject to searches without a warrant by their probation or parole officer.
Boyd had bad luck Thursday when officers noticed a pair of digital scales tucked away in an air vent while conducting a search. According to the report, a closer investigation of the vent produced one .40 caliber Smith & Wesson handgun, one Hi-Point 9 mm handgun and 10.8 grams of marijuana sealed in a Mason jar.
When officers ran serial numbers, the Smith & Wesson came back as stolen.
Boyd was charged with possessing stolen goods, simple possession of a schedule II, III, IV, V or VI controlled substance and possession of drug paraphernalia. He was placed in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $2,500 secured bond. Boyd was previously charged in Rowan County with assault on a female and driving with a revoked license.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
- A woman reported a credit card fraud at Walmart on Thursday.
- A man reported Thursday that someone tried to fraudulently use his debit card at Top China.
- A man reported Thursday that items were stolen from a vehicle at the 800 block of West Jake Alexander Boulevard.
- A man at the 1400 block of West Innes Street reported Thursday that medication was stolen.
- Police seized Soboxone and drug paraphernalia Thursday at the 200 block of East Third Street.
- Sprint on East Innes Street reported that someone attempted to break into the store on Friday.
- Edward William Norman, 45, was charged Thursday at the 532 block of North Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue with assault on a female.
- James Efird Bailey, 44, was charged Thursday with resist, delay or obstructing a public officer at the 1400 block of Klumac Road.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
- A woman reported a burglary Wednesday at the 600 block of Stone Road.
- A man reported items stolen from a car parked at the 1000 block of Percy Lane, Wednesday.
- A man at the 2370 block of Crescent Road reported a larceny Wednesday.
- A man reported that items were stolen from a car parked at the 100 block of Mainsail Road on Wednesday.
- Faith Farm & Equipment reported that a trailer was stolen from the property following a Wednesday breaking and entering.
- Marcus Dontreil Chambers, 23, was charged Wednesday at the Sheriff’s Office for non-support of a child.
- Tamatha Helms Simpson, 46, was charged with simple assault Wednesday at the 8000 block of Clydesdale Court in Kannapolis.
- James Cody Graham, 24, was charged Wednesday at the 2400 block of Dawson Street, Kannapolis with resist, delay or obstructing a public officer.
3:33 p.m. Update: Stokes Ferry Road between Agner and Liberty Roads has been reopened to normal traffic. The bridge on Stokes... read more