Veterans celebrations coming up over next several days
Recognitions, dinners and celebrations of veterans begin Saturday and go through Veterans Day. Here’s a roundup of local events:
Saturday Nov. 7
- Thelma’s will be holding its annual veterans appreciation dinner Saturday from 6-10 p.m. at the former JC Penney’s at West End Plaza. Sign up at Thelma’s Restaurant, call 704-267-6219, or call or text 704-639-4321.
Sunday Nov. 8
- Erwin Temple CME Church will hold a veterans appreciation service at 3 p.m., Sunday. Music and gospel singing by guest groups will be performed throughout the afternoon, and a lunch will be served from 1:30-2:30. The Rev. John R. Bankhead Jr. from Jerusalem Baptist Church in Spencer will be the guest speaker. Bankhead served 10 years in the U.S. Army as a staff sergeant.
- Enochville Church of God will hold a Veteran’s Day service. Specialist E-5 Coy Thompson will be receiving medals of honor for service in Vietnam.
- Word of Life Family Worship Center will have a veterans recognition service during their 10 a.m. service. Pastor Dr. Martha Starks will deliver words of encouragement to the veterans and family members of those who are no longer with us. Special patriotic music will be provided by the Gospel Choir as well as special solos. Word of Life Family Worship Center is located at 726 E. Liberty St. For additional information or transportation call the church office at 704-633-2431.
Monday Nov. 9
- Meet with Sen. Thom Tillis at Richard’s Coffee Shop at 165 N. Main St., Mooresville. Tillis will be at Richard’s starting at 9:30 a.m. for morning coffee and conversation with Veterans. For more information contact the office of Tillis at 704-604-2529.
Wednesday Nov. 11
- The annual Veterans Day parade will be held at two locations. The parade will be at the VA Medical Center at 1 p.m. and will march from Stallings Memorial Baptist Church to Kerr Street in Salisbury at 2:30. The parade is sponsored by the Rowan County Veterans Council. Call Bill Craddock at 704-754-0414 or Bill Lane at 704-647-9655 for more information.
- The VA Medical Center will host a presentation of the colors at 10 a.m. at building six at the VA Medical Center. Food will be served from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the VFW Post 3006 for $6 a plate.
- The Spencer Doll and Toy Museum at 108 Fourth St., Spencer is hosting a Veteran’s Day event from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. featuring family appropriate battle exhibits, including the American Civil War and the Battle of Waterloo, by artist Roger Jones. Admission is free for all veterans and all visitors will receive a free soldier. Call 704-762-9359 or visit www.spencerdollandtoymuseum.com.
- There will be a free Veterans Day concert with Rockie Lynne at 4 p.m. on the lawn at Mooresville Town Hall. Rockie Lynne is a U.S. Army veteran, singer-songwriter and North Carolina native. The event is in conjunction with Piedmont Veterans Assistance Council.
- Veterans will receive a free entree at K&W Cafeteria from 4 p.m. to closing when they present a military ID or proof of military service. Dine-in or take-out.