Week in review: Test your nose for local news
Published 12:00 am Sunday, November 1, 2015
1. Rowan County is represented by Reps. Carl Ford and Harry Warren in the state House and Sens. Tom McInnis and Andrew Brock in the state Senate. Who among these legislators plans to be running for re-election in 2016?
A. Brock and Ford
B. Brock and Warren
C. McInnis, Warren and Ford
D. All four
2. At this year’s Chili Cook-off fundraiser for Waterworks Visual Arts Center, second-place finishers Ralph Wear and Donnie Clement relied on a meat usually not incorporated into chili. What was it?
D. Water buffalo
3. Mambo Grill & Tapas, which has been located at 1024 S. Fulton St. for the past five years, plans to relocate into the downtown by early January 2016. Mambo Grill will be in the former location of what business?
A. Bernhardt Hardware
4. Sterling Weaver of Rowan County has been mounting a drive to send one particular item overseas. What is it?
A. Bibles to missionaries
B. Cheerwine to U.S. troops
C. Apple Uglies to Syrian refugees
D. Dental floss to Sudan
5. Rowan County musician Darrell Connor earned top honors in adult male vocals at the N.C. State Fair Folk Festival. Connor retired in 2001 after a 30-year career as what?
A. A teacher at West Rowan High
B. A Salisbury Police officer
C. A federal prosecutor
D. An agent with the State Bureau of Investigation
6. This past week, the Kannapolis City Board of Education terminated its contract with Superintendent Dr. Pamela Cain. Cain had been superintendent for Kannapolis Schools since when?
7. Among all of the incumbent U.S. House members from North Carolina, whose war chest has the most cash on hand ($2.31 million) going into the 2016 campaign?
A. U.S. Rep. Alma Adams, a Democrat representing the 12th District
B. U.S. Rep. Patrick McHenry, a Republican representing the 10th District
C. U.S. Rep. Virginia Foxx, a Republican representing the 5th District
D. U.S. Rep. Richard Hudson, a Republican representing the 8th District
8. A community celebration was held Saturday at the North Carolina Research Campus in Kannapolis. What did the day celebrate?
A. The history and heritage behind Cannon Mills Plant No. 1, the site on which the research campus is now located
B. The nearly 12,000 people who are enrolled in the MURDOCK Study
C. The city of Kannapolis’ recent purchase of most of the buildings in the downtown
D. A new City Hall on the campus
9. In a sudden-death playoff, Salisbury High golfer Grace Yatawara won the state 1A/2A golf championship. How many times did the Salisbury high senior win this state individual championship?
C. Three times
D. Four times
10. Rowan Helping Ministries unveiled its annual Christmas Honor Card during a reception at Rail Walk Studios and Gallery Thursday. Who is the artist of this year’s Christmas Honor Card?
A. Carole Simmons
C. Mark Brincefield
D. Karen Frazer