Blotter: Man charged with drug possession at traffic stop
Martin Franklin Efird, 36, was charged with possession when police found crack cocaine during a traffic stop.
P.I.T. officers with the Salisbury Police Department were conducting a traffic checkpoint at the corner of North Long and Short streets Thursday night when Efird rode up on a mo-ped. According to the report, Efird did not have valid registration for his vehicle. Officers ran his name and learned that Efird had two outstanding warrants, one for larceny in Rowan County and one for shoplifting in Iredell County. While police were patting Efird down for arrest, they allegedly found one gram of crack cocaine.
Efird was charged with possession of a controlled substance and failure to appear or comply. He was placed in the Rowan County Detention Center under a $4,000 secured bond. He has previously been charged in Stanly County with larceny of firearms.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
- A woman at the 500 block of West Council Street reported Thursday that someone stole her wallet from her home.
- A man reported an assault and a vandalism Thursday at the 600 block of South Craige Street.
- A woman reported a hit and run traffic accident Thursday at the intersection of Jake Alexander Boulevard and Statesville Boulevard.
- Police seized marijuana and drug paraphernalia at the corner of Miller Chapel Road and Airport Road, Thursday.
- A woman reported that her ex-boyfriend assaulted her with a gun Thursday at the 400 block of Foster Lane.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
- The Sheriff’s Office reports that an offender brought cocaine into the jail Wednesday. The substance was found during booking.
- A man reported Wednesday that a ring was stolen from his residence at the 500 block of West Horah Street.
- Police seized drugs Wednesday at the 700 block of Roy Cline Road, Rockwell.
- Pop’s Country Store at the 5000 block of U.S. 601 Highway reported that someone stole a heat pump from the side of the building.
- A man reported a larceny and damage to personal property Wednesday at the 3800 block of Long Ferry Road.
- A man reported that a handgun was stolen from his vehicle Wednesday while it was parked at the 2700 block of Leonard Road.
- A man reported Wednesday that someone gained access to his personal information, opened accounts and took funds in his name.
- John Cody Casper, 20, was charged with possession of a controlled substance at the 1100 block of Zebulon Lane on Wednesday.
- Scott Derryl Keyes, 52, was charged Wednesday with cyberstalking at the 1400 block of Rockwell Road in Rockwell.
- Scott Matthew Shoaf, 38, was charged at the Rowan County Jail Wednesday with unauthorized use of a motor vehicle.
- Joshua Matthew Poole, was charged Wednesday at the 100 block of East Kerr Street with possession of a controlled substance.
- Terry Wayne Garmon, 47, was charged Wednesday at the Rowan County Jail with possession of tobacco by an inmate.
- Jacob Leonard Overcash, 26, was charged at the 100 block of Chapel Court with violating a 50-b order Wednesday.
By Laurie D. Willis Livingstone College News Service SALISBURY – From freshmen experiencing it for the first time to alumni... read more