Machete man earns charge with concealed sword
The man who put on a display for downtowners Tuesday has been cited for carrying a concealed weapon. Christopher Lewis, 31, was spotted Tuesday twirling what appeared to be two machetes on the square downtown. A police officer responded and asked him to stop, but Lewis was not charged at the time.
Later the same day, police received a report that Lewis was at it again, this time allegedly with an axe on the corner of South Craige Street and West Marsh Street. Lewis was found to have a sword tucked into his shirt and pants, Police spokeswoman Capt. Shelia Lingle said. He was cited with carrying a concealed weapon.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
- Salisbury High School reported that an unknown person stole a student’s computer Tuesday while the student was at lunch. A teacher also reported that someone stole his laptop during gym the same day. The school made a third report of larceny, but did not list what was taken.
- Police responded to reports of a sex offense on Tuesday.
- Grand Prix at the 1000 block of West Innes Street reported items stolen Tuesday.
- A man reported that a larceny occurred at the 200 block of West 10th Street on Tuesday.
- A woman reported a burglary at the 1200 block of Bringle Ferry Road Tuesday.
- A man reported a strong-arm robbery Tuesday at the 600 block of South Craig Street.
- A man reported Wednesday that a bicycle was stolen from the 100 block of Mitchell Avenue.
- Todd Micheal Rankin, 30, was charged Tuesday with simple possession at the 100 block of North Arlington Street.
Deputies have made an arrest in connection to the robbery of a Sonic Drive-In in Kannapolis. Marlin Phillip Brown Jr., 23, an employee of the Sonic, entered the restaurant Saturday night and threatened violence with a knife if the manager didn’t give him $350 for rent, according to the Rowan County Sheriff’s Office.
Brown stole a totally of $1,370, and was charged Tuesday with robbery with firearms or other dangerous weapons. He was found at Baron’s Bridge Road and was placed under a $50,000 secured bond. Brown has previously been charged in Cabarrus County with uttering forged paper or instrument containing a forged endorsement.
In other Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
- A woman at the 2600 block of Long Ferry Road reported Monday that someone opened accounts in her name.
- A woman at Happy Hollow Road, Rockwell, reported Monday that she was receiving harassing phone calls.
- A man reported Monday that a handgun was accidentally discharged at the 100 block of Johnson Farm Road, China Grove.
- A man at the 1200 block of West C Street, Kannapolis, reported Monday that someone stole a commercial stove, a concrete picnic table and benches, and 30 boxes of wooden posts were stolen from a building at his rental house.
- A woman reported that a fraud occurred Monday at the 100 block of Eden Park Drive, China Grove.
- A man reported a burglary Monday at the 800 block of Old Beatty Ford Road.
- A man reported an assault Monday at the 1500 block of North Long Street, East Spencer.
- Devon Vastine Craddock 18, was charged with possession of a controlled substance when deputies discovered marijuana during a traffic stop at the 200 block of Peeler Road.