Motivational speakers coming to Rowan County schools
Published 12:00 am Monday, October 19, 2015
Speakers from Game Plan for Life want students to know that one bad decision can change their whole lives.
Motivational speakers from the Game Plan for Life program will visit elementary, middle and high school students, as well as college students and community members in Rowan County this week.
The program will be presented to as many as 3,624 students, plus staff, parents and community members.
The presentations will focus on the theme, “Decisions = Destiny.” The speakers will talk to students about the importance of decision-making, including the decision to only drink alcohol when the student is of age.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, underage drinking is a major public health problem. Underage drinking is responsible for more than 4,300 underage deaths per year.
Speakers for the event include Renaldo Wynn, former defensive end for the Washington Redskins; Garry McFadden, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police detective; and Richie Parker, NASCAR engineer and car enthusiast.
According to a press release from Livingstone College, the program was started by Terry Osborne, general manager and SEO of the Rowan/Kannapolis ABC Board, with a mission to help end underage drinking. Osborne put the program together with the help of Rowan County Sheriff Kevin Auten and Salisbury Police Chief Rory Collins.
Joe Gibbs, NASCAR team owner and former Washington Redskins coach, also works with the program.
The speakers will be visiting 11 schools in the area and one school in Cabarrus County.
Schedule of presentations:
- October 19 at 8:00 a.m.: Erwin Middle School
- October 19 at 11:00 a.m.: Livingstone College
- October 10 at 3:30 p.m.: Catawba College
- October 20 at 7:35 a.m.: China Grove Elementary School
- October 20 at 1:15 p.m.: Southeast Middle School
- October 21 at 8:30 a.m.: Knox Middle School
- October 21 at 12:40 p.m.: West Rowan Middle School
- October 22 at 8:00 a.m.: Corriher-Lipe Middle School
- October 22 at 11:45 a.m.: North Middle School
- October 22 at 1:30 p.m.: Concord First Assembly
- October 23 at 9:00 a.m. (special needs 9:15 a.m. program): Isenberg Elementary School
- October 23 at 1:30 p.m.: Sacred Heart Catholic School
Contact reporter Amanda Raymond at 704-797-4222.