Blotter: Felon charged with having gun
Salisbury Police arrested a convicted felon and charged him with possession of a weapon after they stopped the car he was in for having an expired tag Friday.
William Levi Rankin, 23, was a passenger in a car that police stopped Friday evening in the 400 block of West Innes Street. The driver was an unknown female, but according to Salisbury Police Department spokeswoman Capt. Sheila Lingle, officers recognized Rankin.
Police ran a dog around the car and found cause to search the vehicle. According to the police report, officers found a loaded .9 mm handgun in a bag behind the passenger seat. The gun’s serial numbers had been defaced.
Police arrested Rankin and charged him with possession of a weapon by a felon, carrying a concealed weapon, and altering, destroying, or removing identification marks. He is being held under a $200,000 secured bond.
Rankin has previously been charged in Rowan County with common law robbery, felony breaking and entering, and assault.
The Salisbury Police Department is looking for another suspect in Friday’s armed robbery in the 100 block of Pearl Street. There is an outstanding warrant for the arrest of Rasheed Stephens-Maddox in connection to the robbery. Two other suspects, Dwayne Jahquan Means, 22, and Jameel Kenneth Stephens-Maddox, 22, were arrested Saturday.
In other Salisbury Police Department reports:
- Police seized marijuana and drug paraphernalia on Friday at the 1400 block of East Council Street and issued citations to two suspects.
- While conducting a search warrant at the 700 block of Victory Street on Friday, police recovered drug paraphernalia.
- Police seized marijuana at the 400 block of Vance Avenue on Friday.
- Sam’s Mart, a car wash at 830 S. Jake Alexander Blvd., reported that someone broke in Friday and stole money from one of their coin-operated devices.
- A woman reported that items were stolen from her vehicle Friday at the 600 block of North Fulton Street.
- A man reported that an assault and vandalism Friday at the 300 block of North Jackson Street.
- Police responded to a hit-and-run traffic accident at the corner of East Monroe and South Lee Streets, Friday.
- On Saturday, a woman at the 300 block of Faith Road reported that a juvenile found her car unlocked with the keys inside and decided to take it for a joyride. The suspect crashed the car into two other vehicles before fleeing on foot.
- Police responded Saturday to reports of shots fired at the 600 block of South Ellis Street.
- A man at the Waffle House on East Innes Street reported an assault in progress Saturday.
- A woman reported items stolen from her vehicle at the 200 block of North Arlington Street on Sunday.
- A woman at the 1000 block of East Innes Street reported items stolen from her car and damage to the vehicle on Sunday.
- A man at the 1700 block of North Lee Street reported his home had been broken into and items stolen, Sunday.
- Misty Leann Gilbert, 30, was arrested Friday on charges of hit and run property damage at the 100 block of East Liberty Street.
- Jessica Dallas Grimes, 30, was arrested at the 700 block of Victory Street on charges of assault and battery.
- Shyheem Shurki Miller, 21, was arrested at the 700 block of Victory Street on Friday on charges of assault on a female by a male over 18 years of age.
- Michael Milton Connor, 42, was arrested Friday at the 300 block of North Jackson Street on charges of injury to personal property.
- Tabitha Deleen Johnston, 33, was arrested Friday at the 1900 block of West Innes Street on charges of larceny.
- Christopher Taylor Morris, 35, was arrested Saturday at the 200 block of Bendix Drive on charges of simple possession.
- Martin James Rogozinski, 22, was arrested at the 200 block of West McCubbins Street on Saturday on charges of assault on a female by a male over 18 years of age.
- Kenneth Michaek Ekkerm 40, was arrested Saturday and was charged at the Sheriff’s Office with simple assault.
- Demetrius Phillip Brown, 31, was arrested Saturday at the 700 block of East Innes Street on charges of resist, delay, and obstructing a public officer.
- Domonick Laville Wheeler, 26, was arrested Sunday at the 500 block of East Innes Street on charges of simple assault and simple assault and battery.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s Office reports:
- A man at the 800 block of East Ridge Road reported Thursday that someone used his credit card without his permission to purchase a cell phone.
- Deputies conducted a search Thursday at the 5300 block of Cavin Lane, Kannapolis and recovered illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia.
- A woman at 400 Log Barn Road, Salisbury reported a fraud on Thursday.
- A West Rowan High School student was found Thursday to be in possession of marijuana with the intent to sell and deliver.
- A man reported Thursday that a firearm was stolen from his vehicle at the 500 block of Gin Road, Gold Hill.
- A woman at the 3800 block of Cliffdale Road reported Thursday that someone stole her walker.
- A woman reported Thursday that someone stole her vehicle from the 200 block of Westfork Drive.
- Eric Dale Stone, 39, was arrested on a charge of assault on a female at the 100 block of North Salisbury Avenue, Granite Quarry, on Thursday.
- Jamie Duane Thomas, 39, was arrested Thursday and was charged with a violent domestic violence act and charged at the Sheriff’s Office.
- Matthew Ray Ball, 21, was arrested Thursday at the 1200 block of Celestial Drive and charged with possession of a controlled substance after police said they found marijuana and drug paraphernalia in the home.
Two members of an Enochville family with a history of heroin related-charges have been arrested again on heroin distribution charges, according... read more