Blotter: One cited after carrying gun on Catawba campus
A Spencer man was cited for carrying a concealed weapon following a Thursday morning complaint by a Catawba College student.
Abdul Alim Leonard, 34, of 1515 Salisbury Avenue in Spencer, was only cited for carrying a concealed weapon near the intersection of North Park Drive and West Innes Street, according to Salisbury Police. Leonard wasn’t arrested for the incident, according to police.
An email notice sent to Catawba students said an unnamed female called campus security, alleging Leonard made a harassing remark to her and “creeped her out.” When a Catawba College public safety officer responded, he found a .22-caliber rifle wrapped in a hoodie or sweater, according to the email notice. Leonard told campus security that he found the gun in a ditch near Grant’s Creek.
Leonard told campus security he planned to turn the gun into a sheriff’s deputy he had seen in the median on West Innes Street.
A Catawba College public safety officer took the gun from Leonard, who was verbally barred from the campus. The email announcement from Catawba said the Salisbury Police Department would investigate the incident further to see if additional charges should be issued.
“Please, remember to be aware of your surroundings and if you observe any suspicious activity or persons in your area on campus, contact Public Safety immediately at x4000. Your alertness could prevent someone from becoming a victim,” the emailed announcement said.
In Salisbury Police reports:
• A woman on Tuesday reported an assault on the 104 block of Edzell Drive in Salisbury.
• A woman on Thursday reported a potential burglary in the 800 block of North Lee Street in Salisbury.
• The City of Salisbury on Thursday reported a concealed weapon in the 2400 block of West Innes Street.
• A man on Thursday reported someone pointed a gun at him on the 700 block of Victory Street.
• A Salisbury High School reported a larceny on Thursday.
• Justin Bell, 24, was charged Tuesday with assault on a female on the 300 block of East 11th Street in Salisbury.
• Sahirah Nadiya Akbar, 33, was charged on Thursday with obtaining a controlled substance by fraud or forgery in the 1200 block of South Main Street in Salisbury.
• Shana Marie Rankin, 30, was charged Thursday with obtaining a controlled substance by fraud or forgery in the 1200 block of South Main Street in Salisbury.
In Rowan County Sheriff’s reports:
• A man on Wednesday reported his handgun had been stolen from his bedroom in the 4700 block of Enochville Road in Kannapolis.
• A woman on Wednesday reported her mailbox and post had been stolen from the 1200 block of Mount Hope Church Road in Salisbury.
• A man on Wednesday reported a larceny in the 3000 block of Sides Road in Rockwell.
• A woman on Wednesday reported a larceny in the 100 block of Waccamaw Drive in Salisbury.
• Connor Hartman, 20, was charged Thursday with assault in the 2300 block of West Innes Street.
Contact reporter Josh Bergeron at 704-797-4246.
By Rebecca Rider For the Salisbury Post As Assistant Director for Career and Professional Development at Livingstone College, Kendra Sharp... read more