Kannapolis City Schools suspends driver’s education due to lack of funding
Because state funding for driver’s education remains in doubt, Kannapolis City Schools has decided to suspend its driver’s education program for the start of the school year.
“We want to offer Driver’s Education to our students, and we know how valuable the program is,” said Superintendent Dr. Pam Cain. “In fact, we delayed our decision as long as we could, but we have reached a point where we have to put the program on pause for now.”
The Kannapolis City School District is not alone. Many school districts in North Carolina have already suspended their driver’s education programs due to lack of action by the state legislature. The North Carolina Senate and House are currently working to reach a final budget deal in Raleigh. Earlier this summer, the House passed a budget that funds driver’s education while the North Carolina Senate did not. Until the two chambers agree on a final budget, school districts cannot know whether money will be available to operate their driver’s education programs or what will be required of them in terms of offering driver’s education.
“We hope the legislature will fund Driver’s Education. We know it is important for our students and families, and we want to be able to offer the program again,” Cain said.
The new school year will begin on Monday. However, when students return to school, there will not be a final budget in place for North Carolina. The fiscal year began July 1, but it is not clear when a final budget will be passed by the North Carolina legislature.
By Jeanie Groh firstname.lastname@example.org Bethany Davidson and her fiancé, Caleb Hanby, are planning their dream wedding thanks to a thoughtful... read more