Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. The Rowan County American Legion baseball team won the state championship this past week. What was the team’s record in the double-elimination tournament?
2. Kannapolis has approved an order for $11 million in special obligation bonds. Kannapolis City Council intends to use most of that money for what?
A. To expand the city’s water treatment plant
B. To buy 300 acres west of the city for a community park and youth athletic fields
C. To build a downtown stadium for minor league baseball and professional soccer
D. To purchase the downtown business district
3. Now 94, Brady Barbee witnessed an important event in Salisbury history on Dec. 31, 1930. What was it?
A. A visit by famed aviator Charles Lindbergh
B. The dedication of the Bell Tower at West Innes and South Jackson streets
C. The shooting of notorious criminal Otto Wood
D. A famous run on local banks, which were under pressures caused by the Depression
4. Salisbury musician-composer Marc Hoffman recently entertained a group which convened for an annual meeting in Raleigh. For whom did Hoffman perform?
A. The N.C. Coin Collectors Association
B. The 30th Infantry Division reunion
C. The Atlantic Coast Conference media tour
D. Staff members of the N.C. General Assembly
5. What common children’s toy does Salisbury resident Dr. Shirley Disseler, an associate professor for middle grades and elementary education at High Point University, use as an educational tool?
B. Building blocks
C. Erector sets
D. Lincoln Logs
6. The Rowan County Board of Commissioners is looking for a chance to argue its case for prayer before board meetings to the U.S. Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. Who is handling the appeal on the board’s behalf?
A. County Attorney Jay Dees
B. Liberty Institute of Texas
C. The Charlotte attorneys for Franklin Graham
D. The John Locke Foundation
7. The Hefner VA Medical Center in Salisbury has a shortage of what particular group of doctors?
8. At the Hefner VA, the average wait for primary care is about how many days?
9. Officials with the N.C. Republican Party are asking Mac Butner, recently appointed to and elected chairman of the Rowan County Board of Elections, to step down. Why?
A. They say Butner is too old
B. They question whether Butner lives in Rowan County
C. They have become aware of what they call “offensive” posts Butner previously put on his Facebook page
D. They say Butner serves on too many boards already
10. Randy Hemann, a former longtime director of Downtown Salisbury Inc., has been named assistant city manager for what N.C. city?
B. High Point
1. A. On its way to a 5-0 record in the state tournament, the Rowan County American Legion team beat Wilson, Eastern Randolph, Hope Mills, Caldwell County and High Point.
2. D. The city of Kannapolis has agreed to buy the former Cannon Village and other downtown properties from David H. Murdock.
3. C. Barbee was 7 years old when he witnessed the downtown Salisbury shootout that killed wanted criminal Otto Wood.
4. B. Hoffman entertained World War II members of the 30th Infantry Division who had gathered in Raleigh for their 69th reunion.
5. A. Disseler has traveled extensively for Lego Education and is the program’s curriculum developer and lead trainer in the United States.
6. B. Based in Texas, Liberty Institute is a religious liberty advocacy and legal defense organization.
7. D. The Hefner VA Medical Center has 46 psychiatrists on staff now and needs 12 more.
8. A. Dr. Parag Dalsania, associate chief of staff for primary care service at the Hefner VA, said the average primary care wait for veterans is around 10 days; 90 percent are seen within 30 days, and many are seen on a same-day basis.
9. C. Butner wrote some racially tinged Facebook posts last year that came to light while he was serving on the Rowan County Housing Authority board.
10. B. Hemann, who was serving as city manager for Oxford, will begin duties as High Point’s assistant city manager for community services Sept. 3.
By Mark Wineka email@example.com SALISBURY — Stephen Pocklington said his heritage is what he starts making today and that he creates... read more