Week in review: Test your nose for local news
1. Donald Clement Jr., a fixture at Salisbury Motor Co. for more than 70 years, died recently at the age of 94. Since its founding in 1919, what brand of car was Salisbury Motor Co. most closely associated with?
2. Beginning with the new school year in August, all students in Kannapolis City Schools will receive what?
A. Free iPads
B. Free iPods
C. Free milk
D. Free breakfast and lunch
3. The Royal Giants Summer Camp program in East Spencer has made an appeal to the community for what?
A. Funds that will allow more children to enroll in the camp
B. Volunteers to attend a workday this coming week to build a new playground
C. Volunteers to staff the camp during afternoon hours
D. Lifeguards for the pool
4. Which one of these states is not or has not been on David Freeze’s cycling trip, which he is chronicling for the Salisbury Post?
5. Which of one of these foundations paid for the new exhibition hall/events center at the Rowan County Fairgrounds?
A. The Blanche & Julian Robertson Foundation
B. The Hubert and Blanche Ritchie Foundation
C. The Salisbury Community Foundation.
D. The Proctor Foundation
6. Who owns the Bell Tower near the corner of West Innes and South Jackson streets?
A. The Maxwell Chambers Trust
B. The city of Salisbury
C. First Presbyterian Church
D. Historic Salisbury Foundation
7. The number of Salisbury City Council candidates is 16. Which one of these people has not filed as a candidate for Salisbury City Council?
A. Todd Paris
B. Tamara Sheffield
C. Ted Goins
D. Ken Hardin
8. Scott Huler is retracing a route through the Carolinas taken by what Englishman in 1700-1701?
A. James Keever
B. John Lawson
C. Johnny Appleseed
D. King George II
9. Who was introduced this past week as the new executive director of the N.C. Transportation Museum in Spencer?
A. Kevin Cherry
B. Susan Kluttz
C. Kelly Alexander
D. Jody Everhart
10. Something has been added to the Rowan-Salisbury Schools’ central office building that would significantly increase its price if it stays. What is it?
A. Four extra bathrooms
B. An extra floor
C. Balconies off the third floor
D. A dome
1. C. Up until a few years ago, Salisbury Motor Co. was the Buick dealership.
2. D. Kannapolis City Schools will pilot the Community Eligibility Provision providing free breakfast and lunch to all students. The program is available to schools in high-poverty areas, and Kannapolis joins 22 other N.C. school districts now participating.
3. A. The Royal Giants Summer Camp has appealed to the community to provide funds so more children can attend the camp.
4. D. Illinois is not on Freeze’s Alabama to Ontario, Canada, route.
5. B. The Hubert and Blanche Ritchie Foundation paid for the 9,000-square-foot building at the fairgrounds.
6. A. The Maxwell Chambers Trust, established in 1855, owns the Bell Tower.
7. C. Goins is not a candidate for City Council.
8. B. Lawson wrote the 1709 book, “A New Voyage to the Carolinas,” based on his explorations in 1700-1701.
9. C. Alexander, who has a 27-year association with the museum, is the new executive director.
10. D. If a dome is included, it would add an extra $320,000 cost to the central school office.