Blotter: Mother, daughter charged after traffic checkpoint stop
Published 12:00 am Tuesday, July 7, 2015
By Shavonne Walker
Police charged a Salisbury woman with marijuana and cocaine possession and shortly after charged her mother, who wrestled with and cursed at police following a traffic checkpoint stop in the intersection of Rowan Mill Road and Foxfire Drive.
Salisbury Police charged Chasity Leigh Hearne, 23, of the 1100 block of Sydney Drive, with felony cocaine possession and misdemeanor marijuana possession.
Chasity Hearne traveled through a traffic checkpoint on Saturday night and the officer could smell marijuana coming from the vehicle when she rolled down her window. Chasity Hearne had a limited learner’s permit.
The officer asked if she had any illegal substances inside the vehicle. Hearne initially told the officer she didn’t have anything, but then confirmed she did. A report said Chasity Hearne pulled a small bag of marijuana from her bra.
Officers searched the vehicle and found a small amount of white powder in her wallet. The wallet was lying on the passenger’s seat. Hearne’s mother, Machelle Weaver Hearne, 44, arrived on the scene to pick up the vehicle. An officer asked Machelle Hearne to step out of the roadway and to provide an ID.
Police Capt. Shelia Lingle said Machelle Hearne began cursing at officers. She continued swearing even after officers asked her four times to calm down.
Lingle said at one point Machelle Hearne pushed an officer and slapped the officer’s arm and spun away from the officer. The officer attempted to arrest Machelle Hearne, who cursed at an officer and refused to place her hands behind her back.
An officer threatened to shock Machelle Hearne with a Taser. An officer drive stunned Machelle Hearne, who then complied. When officers tried to place Machelle Hearne into the back of a patrol car, she wrapped her legs around the door. An officer tried to pull her into the vehicle from the other side, but Machelle Hearne continued to struggle and yell.
She told the officers they “couldn’t knock her down” and then said they “won’t get her.”
Machelle Hearne was charged with misdemeanor resist, delay, obstruct an officer. She was issued a $2,080 secured bond. Machelle Hearne also had an outstanding warrant for frivolous prosecution.
Machelle remains in the Rowan County Detention Center. Her daughter, Chasity Hearne, has since been released from the Rowan County jail under a $5,000 secured bond.
Chasity Hearne was convicted in October of felony possession of a schedule II controlled substance. She is currently on two years of probation.
In other police reports:
• A man reported on Friday someone stole his scooter in the 200 block of Nesbit Drive.
• A woman reported on Friday the window of her vehicle was vandalized in the Westland Shopping Center, 525 West Jake Alexander Blvd.
• A woman reported on Friday she was assaulted at Casa Grande Restaurant at 905 Klumac Road.
• Perfect Party Rentals & Sales reported on Friday someone stole a gas powered breaker from the building at 1819 S. Main St.
• A man reported on Friday items were taken from vehicles at Olympic Crown Storage at 915 Bendix Drive.
• Enterprise Rental reported on Friday a vehicle was vandalized at the business at 1823 S. Main St.
• A woman reported on Friday items were taken from her vehicle parked at Food Lion at 2104 Statesville Blvd.
• A man reported on Saturday someone took items from his vehicle parked at McDonald’s at 704 E. Innes St.
• A woman reported on Saturday someone tried to break into her vehicle at a home in the 700 block of Wiley Avenue.
• Usic LLC reported on Saturday items were taken from a vehicle parked at a home in the 1600 block of Second Street.
• A woman reported on Saturday her purse was stolen from a vehicle in the 600 block of East Monroe Street.
• Rowan County Housing Authority reported on Saturday a broken window in the 300 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue.
• A woman reported on Saturday someone vandalized her vehicle with spray paint in the 200 block of Emerson Lane.
• A woman reported on Saturday someone took items from her vehicle at a residence in the 400 block of Mitchell Avenue.
• A woman reported on Saturday she was the victim of an assault in the 300 block of West D Avenue.
• A woman reported on Saturday a strong armed robbery occurred in the 600 block of Morlan Park Road.
• A woman reported on Sunday her vehicle was set on fire in the 800 block of Park Avenue.
• A man reported on Sunday someone between June 30 and July 1 took electric hair clippers from his apartment in the 300 block of Mahaley Avenue.
• Walter Reyes Sierra, 36, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor breaking or forcing open a coin operated machine in the 1500 block of Airport Road.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A woman reported on Thursday she was the victim of a physical assault in the 800 block of East Ridge Road.
• First Capital Finance reported on Thursday a vandalism occurred in the 4300 block of Franklin Community Center Road.
• A man reported on Thursday someone committed credit card fraud at Rushco convenience store at 601 West Jake Alexander Blvd.
• A man reported on Thursday his vehicle was vandalized in the 11530 block of Stokes Ferry Road, Gold Hill.
• A woman reported on Thursday she was the victim of a credit card fraud in the 9200 block of Fisher Street.
• A woman reported on Thursday she was the victim of an assault in the 1800 block of St. Paul’s Church Road/Faith Road.
• David Adam Hodge, 25, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor contributing to the delinquency of a minor by providing alcohol to a 17-year-old in the 100 block of Airport Road and Airport Loop.
• Ronald K. Bauguss, 41, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor marijuana possession in the 1900 block of Poole Road.
• Michael Todd Allman, 42, was charged on Thursday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Kristina Hicks, 27, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor marijuana possession in the 2700 block of Windswept Way, Rockwell.
• Terry Andre Alexander, 46, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor communicating threats while at the Rowan County Detention Center.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.