Authorities looking for vandal in Webb Road Flea Market shooting incident
By Shavonne Walker
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office is looking for a man who vandalized a number of vending machines at the Webb Road Flea Market in an incident that ended in gunfire late Tuesday.
A deputy spoke with Lewis Johnson, who said he resides at the outdoor/indoor flea market and reportedly provides security there, about confronting a male attempting to break into a vending machine. The man had a crow bar and came at Johnson, who fired his Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver.
Johnson said he wasn’t sure if he struck the man, but the man did run. A K-9 was called in and followed a track to a fenced area that had been cut. The dog led officers to an area of Leach Road, where they found tire tracks.
Deputies discovered 10 vending machines were damaged.
In other Sheriff’s Office reports:
• A woman reported on Monday someone threw a beer at her during a confrontation at a party in the 300 block of Basinger Kluttz Road.
• Cornerstone Child Development Center reported on Monday someone sprayed a fire extinguisher in a bus on the property at 315 Webb Road.
• Boat-N-RV World reported on Monday a larceny at the property at 650 W. Ritchie Road.
• A woman reported on Tuesday a larceny occurred in the 100 block of Hawkins Loop.
• A burglary was reported on Tuesday in the 400 block of Robinson Road, East Spencer.
• Carolina Sand Inc. reported on Tuesday some items were removed from a dredge located in the Yadkin River at 1925 block of Grubb Ferry Road.
• A man reported on Tuesday he was the victim of an internet scam in the 1700 block of China Grove Road, China Grove.
• A man reported on Tuesday someone broke into his home in the 1000 block of East 22nd Street, Kannapolis.
• A man reported on Tuesday his property was burglarized in the 100 block of Rock Olive Drive, Rockwell.
• Crysta Lena Hall, 31, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 300 block of Basinger Kluttz Road.
• Terry Wayne Stockton, 40, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor assault on a female while at the Rowan courthouse.
• Aaron Phillip Beam, 19, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor possession of marijuana in the 9100 block of Old Concord Road.
• Jackie Ovester Mitchell, 55, was charged on Tuesday with felony habitual felon while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Charles Coren, 29, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 11500 block of Statesville Boulevard, Cleveland.
In police reports:
• A man reported on Wednesday he was robbed in the 600 block of North Main Street.
• Timothy Edward Bailey, 55, was charged on Wednesday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 500 block of South Craige Street.
• Jim Warren Herndon Jr., 38, was charged on Wednesday with misdemeanor breaking and entering, felony larceny, misdemeanor larceny, two counts misdemeanor assault on a female, and misdemeanor driving while license revoked in the 800 block of Old Concord Road.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-79-4253.
By Shavonne Walker firstname.lastname@example.org One of the greatest reminders that Tyquisha Hinds has of her late husband is their 4-year-old... read more