Blotter: Winston-Salem man charged; found with 39 gift and debit cards
By Shavonne Walker
Rowan authorities say a Winston-Salem man was charged with nearly two dozen felony offenses after he was caught with 39 gift and debit cards that didn’t belong to him at Love’s Travel Stop on Peeler Road.
The Rowan County Sheriff’s Office charged Antonio Leon McGrath, 24, of the 1200 block of Salem Lake Road, with 21 counts of felony obtaining property by false pretenses.
Rowan officials say he was was the passenger in a car that was stopped May 29 by a N.C. Highway Patrol trooper in the parking lot of the truck stop, 1105 Peeler Road. The trooper contacted Rowan detectives after he found the gift cards and debit cards in the glove compartment of the vehicle.
None of the victims’ information was listed on the cards, a report said, so investigators confiscated the cards and got McGrath’s information. On June 18, Rowan investigators met with a secret service agent where they ran the cards through a reader to obtain the encoded information.
All of the cards were encoded with a different card number than was listed on the front of the card. Authorities said 38 cards had been encoded with the same 16 digit number. The number came back as belonging to Annie Mae Huber of Wellford, S.C.
Another card was encoded information from an Inman, S.C. bank account belonging to a woman, Faith Nelon Moore.
McGrath is currently in the Catawba County jail under a $20,000 secured bond for using similar cards at Walmart in Conover. Rowan authorities say it is likely the secret service has a high interest in this case and will likely take over future investigations.
In other sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported on Thursday his mo-ped was stolen in the 100 block of Cedar Drive.
• A woman reported on Thursday she was the victim of an assault in the 1000 block of Cedar Village Trail.
• A man reported on Thursday a generator was stolen from the 100 block of Powell Road.
• A man reported on Thursday items were stolen from his property in the 700 block of Patterson Road.
• Kristy Starr Beck, 35, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 100 Shortail Road.
• Aundrey David-Dwayne Blakeney, 36, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor resist, obstruct, delay an officer in the 700 block of Airport Road and Doyle Avenue.
• Stedman O’Bryan Robb, 25, was charged on Thursday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance schedule IV while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
• Sara Ann Holdren, 26, was charged with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia while at the Rowan County Magistrate’s Office.
In police reports:
• A man reported on Thursday a vandalism occurred in the 600 block of North Long Street.
• A man reported on Thursday two vehicles were broken into in the 200 block of Hillcrest Place.
• Farmers & Merchants Bank reported on Thursday $2,095.51 was taken from the bank fraudulently on May 10 in the 400 block of North Main Street.
• A man reported on Friday his vehicle was stolen in the 1100 block of Old Concord Road.
• A woman reported on Friday someone damaged her vehicle while at Walmart.
• A man reported on Friday his vehicle was stolen from the 1400 block of West Bank Street.
• A woman reported on Friday someone tried to run her over with a vehicle in the 100 block of Town Court.
• A man reported on Saturday his mo-ped was stolen from the 800 block of East Lafayette Street.
• A woman reported on Sunday a vandalism occurred in the 200 block of Ridge Avenue.
• An autistic child, 9, was found on Sunday morning wandering in the 500 block of South Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue after he walked out of the house while family was asleep. He was reunited with the family.
• A woman reported on Sunday a larceny occurred at Salisbury Inn & Suites, 825 Klumac Road.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
Two area churches will host prayer services tonight in response to last week’s mass shooting at a historic black church in... read more