Crime blotter: Man charged with being intoxicated, attempted to hit officer with a bike
Published 7:27 pm Wednesday, June 17, 2015
By Shavonne Walker
Police charged a Salisbury man with assault on an officer after the officer tried to arrest him for being intoxicated and the man swung a bicycle at the officer.
Dennis James Hunsucker, 59, was charged with the two misdemeanor offenses of assault on a law enforcement officer and being intoxicated and disruptive.
Salisbury Police responded to Wilco-Hess, 500 E. Innes St. on Tuesday around 8 p.m. after people reported seeing a man begging for money. Officers could not find the person who’d been asking for money. Officers did run into a clerk who told one of them about Hunsucker.
He’d been in the store to buy beer, but the clerk said he didn’t have enough money for it and began cursing when he couldn’t pay. He put the beer back and left the store. When the officer asked Hunsucker about the incident, the man began cursing at the officer, according to a police report.
According to the report, Hunsucker swung his bike at the officer. The officer ordered Hunsucker to put it down. He swung the bicycle again. The officer drew his Taser, but did not deploy it because Hunsucker stopped and complied.
Hunsucker remained in the Rowan County Detention Center on Wednesday under a $1,500 secured bond.
In other police reports:
• A woman reported on Tuesday lumber and tools were stolen from a home under renovation in the 300 block of East Bank Street, Granite Quarry.
• A woman reported being the victim of an assault after she and another woman were arrested Tuesday in the 100 block of Clancy Street.
• A man reported on Tuesday he was assaulted in the 300 block of Ashbrook Road.
• Police responded on Tuesday to an incident after a request from Rowan DSS to check on the welfare of someone in the 200 block of Harrel Street.
• A woman reported on Tuesday an assault occurred in the 100 block of Rowan Mill Road.
• Anjelica Rushing, 20, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 100 block of Clancy Street.
• Melishia Mona Chambers, 19, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 100 block of Clancy Street.
• Desaray Djarnet Crawford, 22, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 700 block of East Liberty Street.
• Todd Samuel Knowles, 53, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor simple assault while at the Hefner VA Medical Center.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A man reported on Monday he was robbed in his driveway in the 700 block of Shue Road, China Grove.
• A man reported on Monday a burglary occurred in the 600 block of N.C. 801, Woodleaf.
• A man reported on Monday someone broke into his building and stole items in the 2300 block of McGill Street, Kannapolis.
• Christoper Alan Cruz, 30, was charged on Monday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses while at the Rowan County courthouse.
• Chad Steven Brown, 29, was charged on Monday with felony habitual felon while at the Rowan County courthouse.
• David Franklin Stephens, 30, was charged on Monday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses in the 600 block of Little Street.
• Brandon Allen Alexander Collins, 31, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 300 block of Walter Corriher Road, China Grove.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.