Food on stove the cause of China Grove house fire

Published 12:30 am Thursday, June 4, 2015

CHINA GROVE — Fire officials say food left on the stove caused a Wednesday morning fire at an East Church Street home. No one was home at the time of the fire and no injuries were reported.

Someone either passing by or a neighbor called the fire in to authorities sometime after 9 a.m. said China Grove Interim Fire Chief Mike Zimmerman.

Someone entered the house through the front door to determine if occupants were inside, and China Grove Police were right behind the person. A police officer began extinguishing the fire, which started in the kitchen, located in the back portion of the home.

Firefighters were able to completely put out the fire using water foam cans.

Zimmerman said there was damage to some kitchen cabinets and around the ceiling area. He said there was also some smoke damage.

The home is a rental property, Zimmerman said.

The following fire and emergency services responders assisted during the incident: Landis, Atwell, Locke, China Grove and Bostian Heights fire departments, Rowan County Rescue Squad, China Grove Police and the Rowan County Fire Marshal’s Office.