blotter: Sheriff’s officials say be aware of scammers opening unauthorized cell phone accounts
Published 12:05 am Wednesday, April 29, 2015
Rowan investigators are looking into who opened Verizon Wireless accounts in the names of two people in two separate incidents, one of which had an outstanding bill of over $2,000.
James Thomas Sr. told sheriff’s officials Verizon called him some time in late March 2015 saying he owed money on his account. He told the company he didn’t have an account with them. He did apply for a loan but was denied because of a late payment history, which he did not have.
He told investigators he didn’t even have access to the Internet, but called TransUnion to obtain his credit report. The report showed a Verizon Wireless account had been set up in his name on December 14, 2012 and closed on June 30, 2013. As of February 2015 he had a balance of $2,077.
Thomas said he did not authorize the account and had no knowledge as to who would have opened it.
In another similar incident Kristen Brawley told officials someone attempted to open or use a Verizon Wireless account in her parent’s name with her address. She said the Verizon account had a bill of $100.87 and was from March 17 to April 16.
In sheriff’s reports:
• A woman reported on Monday a child abuse incident in the 200 block of Tumbleweed Drive.
• A man reported on Monday he was the victim of fraud in the 100 block of Bee Tree Lane.
• A man reported on Monday he was the victim of credit card fraud in the 1100 block of Justin J Drive, Rockwell.
• A woman reported on Monday she was the victim of fraud that occurred between March 17 and Monday in the 100 block of Cedar Tree Circle, Rockwell.
• Deputies investigated a sex offense that was reported on Monday.
• Deputies responded on Tuesday to someone in possession of drugs in the 1500 block of Peeler Road.
• Charles Ray Evans, 75, was charged on Monday with habitual impaired driver while at the Rowan County jail.
• Ali Ibn Ouf Suliman, 61, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor simple assault while at the Rowan County jail.
• Robert Lewis Jefferson, 32, was charged on Monday with habitual felon while at the Rowan County courthouse.
• Robert John Cieslikowski, 52, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor assault on a female in the 1800 block of Glover Road.
• Michelle Gillespie Hester, 47, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor possession of a controlled substance schedule IV in the 1500 block of Peeler Road.
• Steven Allen Keith, 28, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor child abuse in the 500 block of Kepley Road.
In police reports:
• Police responded on Saturday to the 1200 block of Old Wilkesboro Road and Grim Street where they seized marijuana and issued a citation.
• A woman reported on Saturday she was the victim of identity fraud in the 1400 block of East Council Street.
• A man reported on Monday his home was broken into in the 2400 block of Berkshire Drive.
• Jimmy John’s reported on Monday someone paid in cash with a $100 bill for a $5.23 sandwich, but distracted the clerk into giving him change of $94.77, but he kept the large bill.
• A man reported on Monday he returned to his apartment to find items missing in the 200 block of West D Avenue.
• Cadeidre Sarahnette Sullivan, 28, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor simple assault in the 1700 block of North Long Street.
• Jessica Brianne Kesler, 25, was charged on Saturday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 100 block of South Jake Alexander Boulevard.
• Chad Steven Brown, 29, and Tiffany Lynn Smith, 26, were both charged on Monday with felony obtaining property by false pretenses in the 100 block of Elyse Avenue.