10 things to know for today
The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHO’S MAKING CASE FOR DEAL WITH TEHRAN
Obama defends an emerging agreement by noting Iran would be kept a year away from obtaining a nuclear weapon for more than a decade.
2. WHOSE CAREER IS BLEMISHED BY ROLLING STONE STORY
The article about an apparently fictional gang rape at the University of Virginia is a rare demerit for freelance journalist Sabrina Rubin Erdely.
3. RAND PAUL READY TO JOIN 2016 PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN
The tea party favorite will begin his White House campaign today, kicking off the run with a rally in downtown Louisville.
4. MASS GRAVE EXHUMED IN IRAQ
Forensic teams in the liberated city of Tikrit exhume at least 12 bodies from the burial site believed to contain hundreds of soldiers killed by Islamic State militants last year.
5. HOW OBAMA PRESENTS CLIMATE CHANGE
The president is asking Americans to think of global warming as a threat not just to the environment, but also to their health.
6. MAN, KIDS DIE FROM CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
The deceased, who were identified as an adult and seven young people ages 6 to the teens, were using a generator after the power company cut off electricity in their Maryland home.
7. CALIFORNIA PRESSURED TO STEP UP TO SLASH WATER USE
The State Water Resources Control Board will start discussing how to enforce the reduction, which will likely include cutback targets for cities.
8. CLOSING ARGUMENTS SET IN HERNANDEZ TRIAL
Both sides have 90 minutes today to make their case to the jury. The lawyer of the former New England Patriots star tight end will go first, followed by the prosecution.
9. DON MCLEAN’S ‘AMERICAN PIE’ COULD BRING $1.5M AT AUCTION
Christie’s says the singer-songwriter is selling 16 pages that include the original working manuscript and typed drafts of the song.
10. DUKE TOPS WISCONSIN 68-63 FOR NATIONAL TITLE
Led by Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor, the Blue Devils play like veterans down the stretch, outscoring the Badgers by 14 points over the final 13 minutes.