Union Grove Fiddlers Convention on tap Friday, Saturday
Published 12:00 am Wednesday, April 1, 2015
UNION GROVE — The Union Grove Old Time Fiddlers Convention will take place Friday and Saturday at VanHoy Farms Family Campground, 742 Jericho Road in Harmony (Iredell County).
The venue is located 12 miles north of Statesville, on I-77 at exit 65 and N.C. 901.
Admission is $10 Friday and $15 Saturday.
More than $11,000 will be given away in prize money to the best bands and individuals in bluegrass and old-time music categories. On-site registration will be from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-to 1 p.m. Saturday.
All bands will compete with two songs Friday night and two songs Saturday night for a total of four songs, with best score used in determining winners. See the complete schedule below.
All of the competition will be held under roof in the H.P. VanHoy Arena, with seating for 10,000 people.
The event continues a tradition that began in 1924.
Food vendors will be on site during the event. A general store will be open during the convention and will be selling camping supplies, food/water and ice. VanHoy Farms Family Campground is a full-service campground, from full hookups to primitive tent sites.
Here’s the competition schedule for Friday:
• 9 a.m.-6 p.m. — On-site registration at the barn.
• 6 p.m.-until — H.P. VanHoy Arena, competition for all individual categories in order by category: mandolin, electric bass, dulcimer, bluegrass banjo, old-time fiddle, bands.
Here’s the competition schedule for Saturday:
• 9 a.m.-1 p.m. — On-site registration at the barn.
• 10 a.m.-5 p.m. — Competition for all individual categories (except dance), in order by category: youth, guitar, dobro, male and female vocal, autoharp, ascoustic bass, harmonica, old-time banjo, bluegrass fiddle.
• 5 p.m. — Dance competition, arena stage.
• 6 p.m. — H.P. VanHoy Arena, senior old-time and bluegrass band competition.
• Around 10 p.m. — Awards presentation, H.P. VanHoy Arena
There is no registration fee. Contestants must purchase a ticket of admission. Ticket money will be refunded when musician plays and wristband marked. Full refunds will be given to all who compete (except in dance).
Advance registration is encouraged to help the convention organizers with scheduling. In addition to on-site registration, pre-registrations can be made through the website (www.vanhoyfarms.com) by telephone or email.
For more information, go to www.vanhoyfarms.com, telephone 704-539-5493, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.