Fire destroys Tabor Drive home

Published 12:26 am Tuesday, March 24, 2015

A Monday afternoon fire at a Tabor Drive home completely destroyed the home, displacing a father and his 6-year-old daughter.

Robert Tabor Jr. was about to cook some French fries and left grease cooking on the stove at 244 Tabor Drive when he went across the way to chat with his father, Robert Tabor Sr.

When the elder Tabor mentioned something about fire insurance, Robert Jr. remembered he had grease on the stove. When he ran back to the house a fire had spread in the kitchen.

Robert Tabor Sr. said he’s owned the house since the late 1950s and raised his four children in the house. He said he was glad his granddaughter was not home at the time of the fire.

The initial fire call was made around 2:10 p.m. and within 20 minutes the fire was under control, said Ellis Cross Country Fire Chief Jeff Whitley.

The following fire agencies responded: Ellis Cross Country, Spencer, East Spencer, Franklin and Millers Ferry fire departments as well as the Rowan County Rescue Squad and Rowan County Fire Marshal’s Office. The Hanford Dole Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the Tabor family.

 

Comments