• 72°

NFL: Cowboys sign Hardy to one-year contract

The Associated Press

IRVING, Texas (AP) — The Dallas Cowboys have made their big play in free agency with defensive end Greg Hardy.

Although Hardy could face a league suspension for violating the NFL’s domestic conduct policy, the team said it agreed to terms with the former Carolina Panther on Wednesday.

A person with knowledge of the contract tells The Associated Press it is a one-year deal that could earn him $13.1 million if he meets incentives. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because terms of the deal were not announced.

The Cowboys let DeMarco Murray go to NFC East rival Philadelphia because they decided the NFL rushing champion was too expensive. Now, they’ve bolstered the defense, particularly the pass rush.

Hardy remains on the commissioner’s exempt list as he seeks reinstatement by the NFL, which filed a lawsuit Wednesday seeking the release of records from the trial that led to Hardy’s conviction by a judge in North Carolina on domestic violence charges. The case was dismissed after Hardy requested a jury trial and his accuser couldn’t be located to testify.

The league is seeking the evidence through an open records request after prosecutors refused to release anything. Without the evidence, it could be difficult for the NFL to enforce a tougher personal-conduct policy approved by owners after Hardy’s conviction.

First-time violations involving assault, sexual assault and domestic violence. Previously, first-time offenders typically received two-game suspensions.

The 26-year-old Hardy played just one game last season while his case was still in the courts after tying a Carolina franchise record with 15 sacks in 2013. He made $13.1 million in 2014 as Carolina’s franchise player.

NFL officials met with Hardy earlier this month to discuss the case. His ex-girlfriend testified that Hardy threw her around and threatened to kill her, and he denied those allegations.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said Wednesday that Hardy’s status was still “being reviewed for potential discipline.”

The 6-foot-4, 275-pound Hardy, a sixth-round pick by the Panthers in 2010, had 26 sacks over two seasons before his legal troubles arose. He had 194 tackles and 33 sacks in his first four seasons.

The Cowboys were 28th in the NFL in sacks with 28 last year. Jeremy Mincey, a low-cost defensive end added in free agency last year, led Dallas with six sacks and is returning. Tackle Henry Melton, who had five sacks despite battling injuries, signed with Tampa Bay.

Dallas moved up in the second round of the 2014 draft to grab DeMarcus Lawrence after cutting franchise sacks leader DeMarcus Ware in a salary cap move. But Lawrence missed the first half of the season after breaking his foot in training camp.

It’s the second time in four years the Cowboys made a big move for their defense in free agency. They added cornerback Brandon Carr on a $50 million deal in 2012, and could release him if he doesn’t accept a pay cut after going without an interception for the first time in his seven-year career.

The Cowboys also hope to re-sign linebacker Rolando McClain, a former top 10 pick by Oakland who returned after a year away from the game to have a solid first season in Dallas.

Comments

News

Forest abandons lawsuit challenging Cooper executive orders

Education

Salisbury-Rowan NAACP hosts virtual town hall with superintendent

Nation/World

Crews try to tame California wildfire as heat wave arrives

Coronavirus

Nursing home outbreak first reported last week sees first COVID-19 death

Coronavirus

1,400 face masks given out at county’s drive-thru giveaway

Crime

Blotter: August 14

Business

With more than 1,500 patrons in two weeks, High Rock Lake restaurant gets off to hot start

Business

State awards $584,100 grant to Three Rivers Land Trust for farmland preservation in Cabarrus County

Crime

Teen faces laundry list of charges after string of larcenies

Crime

Salisbury man faces charges after trying to retrieve phone from police

Crime

Police: Father hospitalized after being shot in argument with son

Education

RSS teachers adapting classrooms to the pandemic

Education

Shoutouts

Coronavirus

County launches paramedic program for those recovering COVID-19

Education

Cooper directs $95.6 million for students affected by COVID-19

Education

RCCC named school on the rise

Local

Conversations get started on planning for diversity mural, street painting

Education

Rowan-Salisbury Schools welcomes new teachers

Education

Study highlights need to improve food environments around NC’s HBCUs

Coronavirus

County reports new COVID-19 death outside of nursing home

Crime

Man robbed at gunpoint at South Main Street gas station

Business

Embracing the outdoors: downtown restaurants, coffee shops work to expand outdoor seating

Local

Spencer man killed after being knocked into ditch by vehicle on Old Concord Road

Local

Activists talk tear gas ban, renaming police officers, Confederate streets during mock council meeting