Teen gives false name to police, caught with marijuana
By Shavonne Walker
Salisbury Police charged a teen with misdemeanor marijuana possession during a traffic stop on a vehicle with an expired license plate.
Police charged Jacobi Emil Kennedy, 18, of the 100 block of Crawford Drive, with simple possession of marijuana, possession of drug paraphernalia, both misdemeanors and an outstanding warrant for misdemeanor assault on a female. The warrant was for a July incident.
Police spotted the vehicle in the 700 block of Ryan Street and spoke to the driver, who said the vehicle belonged to her sister. The officer spoke with the passenger, later identified as Jacobi Kennedy.
When the officer asked Kennedy for his name he gave the officer another name and birthday of a 15-year-old Salisbury High student. While questioning those in the car, police contacted the parents they believed to be Kennedy’s to meet them at the scene.
Officers searched Kennedy and found a cigar in his back pocket. The officer said if Kennedy was in fact 15 he could not legally possess a cigar. He also had a grinder in his pocket.
He took off running through a nearby wooded area, but officers in the area were able to catch up to him, said Police Capt. Shelia Lingle.
She said while running he ditched something that was picked up by one of the officers. Police said Kennedy ditched just over a gram of marijuana. Police determined his name was actually Jacobi Kennedy.
He was issued a $1,000 secured bond and has since been released from the Rowan County jail. Kennedy has a pending 2015 traffic case in Rowan County for giving fictitious information to an officer.
In other police reports:
• A man reported on Monday someone shot the front passenger side door of his 2004 Cadillac with a shotgun in the 100 block of West Miller Street.
• A man reported on Monday his vehicle was broken into and he was the victim of credit card fraud in the 100 block of Shamrock Drive.
• A woman reported on Monday her property was stolen and damaged in the 1700 block of First Street.
• A man reported on Monday there was fraudulent activity on his bank account in the 1000 block of East Innes Street.
• A woman reported on Tuesday someone entered the home by standing on the A/C unit and through an unlocked window. Items were taken from the house and the person left through the kitchen door in the 300 block of West Henderson Street.
• A man reported on Tuesday his vehicle was broken into and items taken from inside in the 1000 block of Freeland Drive.
• Frank Lewis Barber, 62, was charged on Tuesday with misdemeanor assault on a female by person over 18 in the 100 block of East Liberty Street.
• A woman reported on Monday her social security number was used fraudulently to file someone else’s taxes in the 100 block of Alex Road, Cleveland.
• A man reported on Monday he was the victim of a physical assault in the 900 block of Carter Loop Road, Rockwell.
• Deputies responded on Monday to speak to the victim of a stolen dirt bike in the 300 block of Crump Circle, Woodleaf.
• A man reported on Monday his home was broken into in the 1400 block of Corriher Gravel Road, China Grove.
• A man reported on Monday someone broke into his home and took items from it in the 100 block of Beechwood Drive.
• A woman reported on Monday her vehicle was struck by children throwing rocks at Red and Wilcoy roads on Jan. 15.
• Copart reported on Monday someone took a car from the property on Feb. 16 in the 1000 block of Recovery Road, China Grove.
• A woman reported on Monday someone took items from her vehicle in the 300 block of Scaley Bark Drive.
• Julie Baker Tutwiler, 50, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor resist, delay, obstruct an officer in the 100 block of Sunset Drive.
• Billy Howard Swaringen, 59, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor allowing animal to run at large while at the Rowan County courthouse.
• John Wilburn Harmon, 28, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor assault with serious bodily injury while at the Rowan County courthouse.
• Chandra Absher Sims, 49, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia in the 2700 block of Needmore Road, Woodleaf.
• James Francis Parker, 32, was charged on Monday with misdemeanor communicating threats in the 100 block of Corriher Grange Road, Mooresville.
• Sarah Elizabeth Harlow, 33, was charged on Monday with felony uttering a forged instrument while at the Rowan County courthouse.
Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.
Police have charged a Salisbury man with stealing a gift card, money and nearly running over a homeless man. The... read more