10 things to know for today, Jan. 15
Published 7:45 am Thursday, January 15, 2015
By The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. FBI ARRESTS MAN WHO PLANNED TO BOMB CAPITOL
The 20-year-old Ohio resident allegedly plotted to “wage jihad”, expressed support for the Islamic State group, and was arrested after buying two semi-automatic rifles.
2. PARIS TERROR RAISES ALARM OVER HOMEGROWN THREATS
American and French intelligence officials think al-Qaida inspired, but did not execute, the recent terrorist acts in France, making any similar attacks very difficult to thwart.
3. WHY THE POPE’S VISIT IS A SECURITY CHALLENGE TO THE PHILIPPINES
Francis, who loves breaking out of protection cordons to greet crowds, will lead a Mass that could draw 6 million people and will visit the typhoon-ravaged central part of the world’s third most populous Catholic country.
4. OSCAR NOMINATIONS WILL PROBABLY SNUB BOX OFFICE
The movie industry’s most prestigious awards are almost certain to steer clear of blockbusters when shortlists are announced today.
5. HOUSE VOTES TO ROLL BACK IMMIGRATION MOVES
Undoing Obama’s executive actions would expose hundreds of thousands of younger immigrants to expulsion from the U.S.
6. CLIMBERS REACH SUMMIT AT YOSEMITE
Tommy Caldwell and Kevin Jorgeson become the first to free-climb the 3,000-foot granite pedestal of El Capitan — a feat that many had considered impossible.
7. SHAKEUP FOLLOWS SECRET SERVICE MISTAKES
Four high-ranking executives have been reassigned, the biggest leadership shift since the agency’s director was forced to quit last year.
8. HARUKI MURAKAMI OPENS UP ONLINE
The publicity-shy novelist, who is a perennial candidate for the Nobel Prize, will answer questions readers pose on a website until the end of the month.
9. WHO IS FLYING THE LATEST JET
Qatar Airways’ first flight of the state-of-the-art Airbus A350 is taking passengers from the gas-rich nation’s capital Doha to Frankfurt.
10. WHAT’S LATEST SIGN HILLARY CLINTON WILL RUN IN 2016
She’s recruiting veterans of Obama’s two successful White House campaigns as she builds her team for an expected presidential bid.