Crockpot contest winners
The South Rowan Public Schools Bible Teaching Association sponsored a Crock Pot Challenge at the Dec. 12 basketball game between South Rowan and Carson High Schools.
Isaiah Bryant and Devin Moore won first place with their taco soup recipe, which is listed below.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, with liquid
- 1 (15 ounce) can whole kernel corn, with liquid
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chile peppers
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
Place the onion, chili beans, black beans, corn, tomato sauce, water and diced tomatoes in a slow cooker. Add taco seasoning and stir to blend.
Lay chicken breasts on top of the mixture, pressing down slightly until just covered by the other ingredients. Set slow cooker for low heat, cover and cook for five hours
Remove chicken breasts from soup and allow to cool long enough to be handled, then shred. Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup and continue cooking for two hours.
Serve topped with shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream and crushed tortilla chips if desired