Fire officials: Birch Street house fire originated in chimney

Published 3:06 pm Friday, December 26, 2014

Multiple fire departments responded to a house fire in the Eastwood subdivision, near Granite Quarry. Officials say the fire occurred in the chimney.

The fire was called in at 12:23 p.m. and happened at 1302 Birch St. in a single-story home.

Granite Quarry Deputy Fire Chief Bill Fraley said the fire was contained to the chimney, but it caught the rafters inside the home and sheeting on the roof on fire.

Firefighters had to cut the roof to remove the wood that was charred to make sure it didn’t rekindle, Fraley said.

The homeowner and others were inside, but were able to get out of the home with no injuries, he said. He added the homeowners had a fire inside the chimney.

Fraley said there was no serious damage to the inside of the home other than to the chimney area and the roof.

Fire officials had to remove a stove pipe from the chimney.

Granite Quarry, Union, Faith, Salisbury, Rockwell City fire departments and Rowan Rescue Squad responded to the fire.

Contact reporter Shavonne Walker at 704-797-4253.

Comments