Area Sports Briefs: South Rowan boys lose in overtime
From staff reports
Lavon Hill scored 24 points and South Rowan’s boys nearly upset Cox Mill on the road on Tuesday.
The Raiders fell 70-64 in overtime to the Chargers.
“We took a step forward tonight,” South Rowan coach Bryan Withers said.
South Rowan led 20-11 after a quarter. After falling behind in the third quarter, the Raiders came back.
Tireek Wilder scored 11 points for South Rowan. Colson Childers scored nine.
Cornell-bound Matt Morgan led Cox Mill with 22 points.
South Rowan led by five points with 13.8 seconds left in regulation, but Morgan was fouled on a 3-pointer and made all three free throws.
After South Rowan split two free throws, Morgan made a 3-pointer in the final second to force overtime.
Morgan made another 3-pointer in the overtime.
South Rowan lost Tyler Rary to a concussion, but Donte Hill played well at point guard.
• South Rowan’s girls won to improve to 4-2 and 4-0 in the SPC.
L. Hill 24, Wilder 11, Childers 9, Finger 6, Littlejohn 5, Stewart 4, D. Hill 3, Rary 2.
COX MILL (70)
Morgan 22, Jones 17, Earl 8, Johnson 6, Cline 6, Baptiste 4, Smith 4, Sio 3.
South 20 10 11 20 3 — 64
Cox Mill 11 21 18 11 9— 70
Dates for the Sam Moir Christmas Classic are Dec. 27, 29 and 30.
Mooresville has been added to the field this year for an eight-school, 16-team tournament.
• Davie’s boys (1-4) lost to North Iredell 70-54 on Tuesday.
Cooper Wall scored 14 for the War Eagles. Tanner Summers scored 19 for North Iredell.
Davie 9 12 10 23 — 54
N. Iredell 12 17 20 21 — 70
• Davie’s girls (4-2) beat North Iredell 44-33 on Tuesday.
Madison Zaferatos had 11 points and five assists. Asiah Peterson had 10 rebounds.
Regan Allen scored 16 for North Iredell.
Zaferatos 11, Mc. Bohannon 8, Hampton 7, Peterson 6, Joyner 4, A. Peebles 4, C. Peebles 2, Ma. Bohannon 2 .
N. IREDELL (33)
Allen 16, Hawkins 4, Fox 4, Morrison 4, Blevins 3 .
Davie 12 13 11 8 — 44
N. Iredell 4 6 14 9 — 33
• In CPC boys games, Mount Tabor beat North Davidson 68-52 and West Forsyth beat Parklad 65-62.
• In CPC girls games, Mount Tabor won 64-47 against North Davidson and West Forsyth routed Parkland 64-17. Unbeaten R.J. Reynolds crushed High Point Central 74-17 in a non-conference game.
Corbin Hills Golf Club will host “The DeLuca” on Saturday, Dec. 20, at 10 a.m. This is an open event for all players. The format is individual stroke play.
Players will be paired into teams of four and flighted after the round. Scoring will be based on the best two gross balls of the four.
Entry fee is $35 per player for non-members and $22 for Corbin Hills members. The entry fee includes golf, food and prizes. Contact Jay Hill at 704-636-0672 or 704-245-4948.
• The Corbin Hills New Year’s Kickoff is set for Saturday, Jan. 3.
The event starts with a 10 a.m. shotgun start. The format is Captain’s Choice and two-player teams
The entry fee is $35 for non-members and $22 for Corbin Hills members.
Players will play a Blue/White tournament tee except Senior play Gold tees and ladies play the Red tees.
Contact Hill at 704-636-0672 or 704-245-4948 to register or for more information.
• The GARS annual tournament winners:
Winner of ‘A’ Flight with a net of 263 was Tom Talbert.
Winner of ‘B’Flight with a net of 265 was Bill Hathcock.
Winner of ‘C’ Flight with a net of 257 was Harry Agner.
Winner of ‘D’ Flight with a net of 307 was Harold Caudill.
Gary Schenk was the most improved golfer with a net improvement of 7.
Cameron Prugh scored 23 points as Carson beat West Rowan 64-46 in jayvee boys basketball.
Jailen Williams scored 15 points. Owen White had 10. Elijah Moss scored nine for the Cougars (5-0).
• Carson’s jayvee girls won 42-30 against West Rowan.
North Rowan Middle’s undefeated boys won 59-8 against Corriher-Lipe.
Brevin Goodlett had 16 points. Logan Stoner had 16 points, four assists and five steals. Quintous Smith had eight points. Dajawon Cook had seven points. Jaden Perry chipped in five points.
Derrick Paige and Spencer Everhart hit 3-pointers, and Justin McKrimmon grabbed four rebounds.
North Rowan Middle is at West Rowan Middle Thursday.
• West Rowan Middle’s boys won 52-40 against China Grove.
Anthony Chance scored 27 for the Bulldogs, and Robert Caldwell had 13.
Caldwell and Samuel Wordsworth pulled down seven rebounds each. Cameron Graham stood out on defense.
Davis Tadlock scored 13 for the Red Devils. Jarius Bates scored 10.
North Hills basketball
The North Hills middle school boys beat Salisbury Academy 39-29.
Trey Carlton scored 14 points for the Eagles. Daniel Walters had 12, and Christian Miller scored six.
• The North Hills elementary school girls won 27-11 against Sacred Heart.
Elizabeth Jones scored 13 points. Ariel Fontenot had six.
• The North Hills elementary school boys won 19-18 against Sacred Heart.
Ayden Patterson scored six points for the Eagles. Liam Ogg and Pacey Watts scored five each.
Sacred Heart hoops
Sacred Heart’s varsity girls won 38-16 against North Hills.
Mary Sobataka scored 31 points for the Dolphins.
• Sacred Heart’s varsity boys (8-4) won 52-40 against North Hills. Jack Fisher and Bill Fisher led the Dolphins with 14 points eacn. Spencer Blackwell scored nine, and Blaine Shellhorn had eight.
Trey Carlton led the Eagles with 13 points.
•Sacred Heart’s jayvee girls lost 24-23 to North Hills. Rachel McCullough scored 21 for the Dolphins.
Sutton Webb and Gianna Patella were defensive standouts.
• Sacred Heart’s jayvee girls lost 15-13 to Immaculate Heart of Mary. McCullough scored all 13 points.
• Sacred Heart’s jayvee boys won 18-15 against North Hills. Nick Antosek and Ben Childress scored six points each.
•Sacred Heart’s jayvee boys beat Immacualate Heart of Mary 29-23. Antosek scored 10 points. Will Webb had seven.
Johnson C. Smith held Pfeiffer to nine points in the first half and beat the Falcons 56-49 at Brayboy Gym on Monday.
Carter Williams scored 15 for Pfeiffer.
LaKendra Wilkinson scored 18 for the Golden Bulls. Bubbles Phifer (Salisbury) made a 3-pointer for the Golden Bulls.
• Livingstone’s Anita Howard was named CIAA Co-Coach of the Week.
Livingstone’s Precious Roberts was named CIAA Newcomer of the Week. Roberts scored 22 in the Blue Bears’s win at USC Aiken.
Livingstone is home Saturday at 5 p.m. against Glenville State.
MOUNT ULLA — Carson’s boys made themselves right at home in West Rowan’s gym Tuesday night. The Cougars played the... read more